Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Scarf Storage Ideas

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:01 pm
I recently bought a couple of nice felt or velvet covered items in Amazing Savings.

Unfortunately the both broke, evidently I put too much on them. I don't know what the material was, but evidently not very strong.

So now I need a new idea.
I have many scarves & shawls.

What have you bought that you liked? Or that you didn't like?

iamamother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:15 pm
u can take a regular hanger and buy shower rings to put on them and then on each ring u put a scarf! I saw this idea on the Chew! I happen to have something that basically is exactly that- except it was bought like that.. I have no where it was from though... maybe bed bath and beyond.

check some of these out:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....=grid

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 2:19 pm
you can buy scarf hangers. alternatively, you could do what I do: devote three drawers to them. they spill over into other drawers occasionally, but I try to keep them where they should be...

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 3:16 pm
Mummiedearest, do you find they get wrinkled in drawers? Or creased because of course you fold them neatly all the time?

I thought hanging would keep them in nicer shape, and also easier to find (unlike the tichel drawer, which I practically have to empty to find the particular one I want.)

I suppose when I get a new dresser I could do that, but right now I don't have the room. Then again, I don't have all that much room in the closet.

My closet doors slide, so no back of door for hanging.

Another question: do you think when they're hanging they get dusty? I am wondering about that. It seems like they ought to.

Actually I have a shoe-bag (many compartments) on the back of my bathroom door, and I did keep scarves in there, but I felt like the larger ones were getting squished, and I was running out of room. I like the look of hanging them better... maybe a towel bar on the end of the closet?

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 3:26 pm
I've seen these scarf hangers in container store and I think target too. It has holes to thread your scarves through. No wrinkles, takes up almost no space, and pretty cheap.

myself

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 3:36 pm
You can fold them and use skirt hangers.

saralea

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 5:27 pm
I got my daughter this and she loves it.
http://www.amazon.com/Generic-.....hange

iamamother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 7:32 pm
u dont have to hand it on a door, u can hang it along with ur other hangers- just keep it in the beginning...

musicmom

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 2:27 pm
I had a sweater organizer hanging from the closet rod and two of the shelves had drawers for skinnier accent scarves or snoods. My scarves folded into squares and I could store quite a lot this way!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:
Mummiedearest, do you find they get wrinkled in drawers? Or creased because of course you fold them neatly all the time?

I thought hanging would keep them in nicer shape, and also easier to find (unlike the tichel drawer, which I practically have to empty to find the particular one I want.)

I suppose when I get a new dresser I could do that, but right now I don't have the room. Then again, I don't have all that much room in the closet.

My closet doors slide, so no back of door for hanging.

Another question: do you think when they're hanging they get dusty? I am wondering about that. It seems like they ought to.

Actually I have a shoe-bag (many compartments) on the back of my bathroom door, and I did keep scarves in there, but I felt like the larger ones were getting squished, and I was running out of room. I like the look of hanging them better... maybe a towel bar on the end of the closet?

do you wear them as shawls or tichels? if you're wearing them as tichels, I find wrinkles don't matter so much, depending on the material and where the wrinkles are. and I'm guilty of stuffing them in the drawer. shh... don't tell anyone.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 4:20 pm
Nice to know I'm not the only scarf addict around here!

Never enough scarves. When I find one I like, I get it in every color. Very Happy

I use hangers with shower curtain rings, and hang them in the closet so that they don't get dusty or sun bleached.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 9:01 pm
I do actually have an extra set of curtain rings - I think I'll try that. But they don't slip off?
The velvet was a nice idea. Too bad it was over something non-sturdy.

I see on Amazon reviews some have snaggy parts. So maybe better to buy s/t IRL?

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 9:09 pm
you can always keep them in a hat box

amother

Post Thu, Feb 12 2015, 11:07 pm
I use a big clear plastic lidded box called a "sweater box". I fold them. Fold lines aren't "creases", they're fold lines. They're stacked one on top of the other, grouped according to color family. The box is clear so I can see from the side where each one is. No danger of snagging because the box is smooth inside. It's a good-size collection though I never counted how many are there. Maybe around 50 but it's just a guess, and the box has room to spare.

Heavy winter scarves and mufflers are stored, folded, in a box with gloves, berets and knit caps.

bluebird

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 12:44 am
There are some nice ideas here:
https://wrapunzel.wordpress.co.....deas/

I also like this idea:
http://themuslimgirl.com/wp-co.....2.jpg

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 4:01 pm
Well, I tried the shower curtain rings. Big flop! They all slide to one end. I even made sure to put one heavy shawl on each end and one in the middle.

I am thinking if I should put some tape between the rings, but I'm afraid I'll end up with sticky scarves. I guess I'll have to wait til I can get to a store!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics