Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Selling One Of A Kind housewares to upper end stores?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:10 pm
Can you get your foot in the door at upper end department stores, that have housewares departments, and show buyers there One Of A Kind hand made and hand painted housewares?

Have you tried?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:56 pm
With all the options available on the internet, how would these items be unique? Have you done any marketing research for your products?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 8:54 pm
First of all with anything hand painted or hand made, no two are alike. In my case, not even similar.

and

Ive been researching for years, both by computer and going to the high end stores, and nothing comes even close to my items.

Im wondering if I call a high end store and offer to leave a few pieces for free, for trial, to see if there are takers, if the high end stores would be interested.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:13 pm
Your concept could work in smaller towns where people visit local shops. In this day and age we have the internet which allows us to buy sundry hand created crafts from a variety of cultures.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:19 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Your concept could work in smaller towns where people visit local shops. In this day and age we have the internet which allows us to buy sundry hand created crafts from a variety of cultures.

My items wouldnt appeal to anyone other than high class people who entertain at home regularly.

Anyhow, why are people living in smaller towns less likely to shop via internet?

Nothing beats holding an item in your hand, and seeing the colors, feeling the textures, quality.
High end stores houseware departments are quite busy from what Ive seen.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:
My items wouldnt appeal to anyone other than high class people who entertain at home regularly.

Anyhow, why are people living in smaller towns less likely to shop via internet?

Nothing beats holding an item in your hand, and seeing the colors, feeling the textures, quality.
High end stores houseware departments are quite busy from what Ive seen.

In smaller towns across the US (like the one I live in) there are very strong buy local movements. It helps keep our downtowns vibrant and filled with unique local businesses. It keeps chain stores out and supports a local economy on living wages and it returns income locally. I have friends who are successful artists and craftspersons. Their goods are sold locally and that's how they support their families.

BTW what do you mean by 'high class' people?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:48 pm
Try crafts fairs and small independent shops before trying to market to chain stores. You'll get feedback and ideas.

As to how to to get your products seen by high-end chains,
1) make an appointment, really! with the housewares buyer, and
2) back when I was doing this kind of stuff, there were reps who had wholesale showrooms from which they sold to stores. I think some of these places still exist, but it's been a few decades... it's worth checking out.

kb

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 9:51 pm
Why not just sell on Etsy?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics