Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My 14 year old bil smokes e-cigarettes!
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 8:18 am
amother wrote:
I have a feeling e-cigarettes will be banned one day. They’re not the solution to cigarette addiction.

anonymous because I’m scared of that woman who posted above and yelled.

I'm the op and I agree. No need to be scared- the lady might scream and yell that we should all buy her products and feed it to our children, but she can't harm us, as long as we don't listen to her. I'm only amother to protect my in-laws.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:42 am
Aside from the other objections I posted on page one I have a concern about just what is in the juice. There are zero federal standards or production standards here in the US. So that means that juice manufacturers can use whatever they wish, no have accurate calibrated equipment to measure the amts. of nicotine in a particular cartridge.

I've also read a few articles about MRSA and ecigs. (Please google for yourself.)

As another poster said up thread, these candy flavors appeal to kids. I'm not one for screaming about gateway substances, but for sure the marketing is making these appealing to youth. The first time I tried a real cig, I was fourteen and it tasted like yuck. I turned away from nicotine and never looked back. Will a 14 yo today say goofy grape e cigs are yuck? Or bubblegum flavored ecigs are yuck?

I had a convo with a friend who is an ENT physician about them. She said that she's getting more cases of sinus infections combined with ecig use. Anecdotal at best, but something to be concerned about.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:03 am
eCig user here. I'm seeing a lot of hysteria over here that is due to not having a full understanding of exactly what eCigs are and what they entail.

First of all, all flavors ARE available nicotine free. I don't know if this is the case with BIL, but I wanted to mention it.

Second, have you ever accidentally tasted the liquid? It is FOUL! Babies don't have a developed sense of taste, so I can see how that horrible accident could have happened. Trust me, there is no "candy flavor" going on in the unvapored liquid. I vape French Vanilla, and it is not sweet at all, just mild.

Like any potentially toxic item, keep out of reach of children, that's just basic common sense. (My mom tells me that when I was 3 I drank 3/4 of a bottle of Triaminic syrup. This was in the days before childproof caps.) BTW, V2cigs only sells liquid in childproof bottles that are hard for ME to get open!

The reason that eCigs are 18 and over, is because of the possibility of buying nicotine online, which is regulated by the ATF. Not everyone buys the nicotine free liquids.

mille

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
I have a feeling e-cigarettes will be banned one day. They’re not the solution to cigarette addiction.

anonymous because I’m scared of that woman who posted above and yelled.

They can actually be really effective for many people to quit cigarettes. You are able to control the amount of nicotine, which lets you taper down the amount you get until you reach nothing. Other methods sometimes don't work because smokers want the "mouth feel" of smoking and something to do with their hands/mouth. This gives them that activity plus the "mouth feel" (to my understanding, I'm not a smoker nor have I ever been!). Obviously it still takes a lot of self control and will power. It doesn't matter if you are down to 4mg of nicotine if you 'smoke' 4x more per day than before! But it can help in cases where someone WANTS to quit.

I'd also much rather someone who refuses to go off nicotine smoke an e-cig than a real cigarette. At least the e-cig only affects their own body, not mine. Second hand smoke is awful.

estibesty

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:40 am
I'm not try scream at anyone its not in my character too im try defend ecig because s o said s t like heimish ppl shoulnt promote it as if ecig was a terible form of drugs. nor am I try gain customers did I mention my company name? trust me we have a huge customer base BH. Also YES its extremely dangerous for baby's to drink gd forbid!! so we only use childproof caps and as all meds u need be smart enouph to keep it safe. And yes u can def get flavor w ZERO nictone.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 11:12 am
Look, there are many ways to make a living, and this is the one that your family is pursuing. It's legal, it's just not the cleanest thing in the world, because you may be allowing ppl to become addicted to nicotine.

For example, if my husband made a living styling models' hair for photo shoots, then I might be uneasy about it because he's touching beautiful women all day long (that's actually a profession that the gemara warns against). If my husband was a kashrus mashgiach and needed to travel to the far east for 6 months out of the year, it's a legitimate and holy calling, but I might feel queasy because he's away for so long.

So, even though this is how your family makes its living, I think it's still bdieved.

estibesty

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 11:22 am
To the naive above another do u know howany people we helped stop smoking I'm look at it as we doing a big mitzvah for the community. We prob saved lives yes we also prib had some ppl that weren't smokers get addicted to our product but I think we help ppl and I'm proud of our business.

smss

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 2:28 pm
so what IS in these ecigs, if not nicotine?

ariellabella

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 3:02 pm
Second hand ecig smoke contains dangerous heavy metals.

And smoking ecigs can produce much higher formaldehyde levels than real cigarettes, which may make them even more carcinogenic. Here's a study that came out in the past month:
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/1.....13069

These things are dangerous and no one should be using them, least of all children. And not around children either.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics