Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Anyone familiar with "Empower New York" program?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 5:24 pm
Tenant suggested that we get involved in "Empower New York" program and hed reduce his energy costs. He pays his own heat.

Anyone familiar?

http://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-.....-York

Wat are pros and cons if any?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 9:14 am
Tenant says they will fix his window drafts for free, give him LED light bulbs, check boiler efficiency, etc. Can I end up losing somehow, once I allow govt employees from this program to look into everything while theyre fixing?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 9:17 am
What's to fear? If you are keeping your property up to legal standards, energy saving enhancements benefit all. We have a similar program in the state I live in, when I owned rentals it was a help for all of us. We combined those benefits with others offered by our state and it wound up costing us about $50 a window to upgrade to energy efficient dual panes.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 10:07 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
What's to fear? If you are keeping your property up to legal standards, energy saving enhancements benefit all. We have a similar program in the state I live in, when I owned rentals it was a help for all of us. We combined those benefits with others offered by our state and it wound up costing us about $50 a window to upgrade to energy efficient dual panes.

The number is for a privately owned company. Im wondering if there is a govt program for the same purpose for NYC homeowners.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
The number is for a privately owned company. Im wondering if there is a govt program for the same purpose for NYC homeowners.

Have you checked to see if this private company is contracting with the state? That information could help you make an informed decision.

There are also Federal programs if you accept HUD vouchers or if your tenants are seniors or disabled.

Best of luck to you, I hope some of this helps.

skirtznsox

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 2:27 am
I think Con-Ed, while not government, has programs that help also. Since they are, in fact, the utility company, their programs are relatively trustworthy and worthwhile. They serve so many households and businesses that it'd be very easy for them to be overburdened, which is why they provide the energy saving services; it does actually work out in their interest
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics