Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Outpost near Yeriho

Aberdinah

Post Sat, Feb 14 2015, 3:47 pm
Shavua tov mothers!

I posted here a while back about the feasibility of making aliyah to a caravan on a settlement somewhere. It looks like our aliyah is being brought forward to between 6 and 18 months time (yay!).

I mean this is all seriousness, (assuming that this is a possibility - haven't contacted anyone yet) would it be irresponsible to go live on an outpost near Yeriho (Beit Hogla)? We have a toddler (may have a baby by that point) and we won't be allowed gun licences till 3 yrs post aliyah. Maybe just until we finish ulpan and get jobs etc. Then we won't feel such pressure at the outset and can enjoy it more.

Advantages are: cheap, beautiful, proximity to farm and wildlife, 40min out of Yerushalayim by bus...

Only really worried about safety. Don't know enough about what living in isolated bit of Yesha (although near army base) is going to be like. Can any of you enlighten me?

Thankyou!

5mom

Post Sat, Feb 14 2015, 9:01 pm
Aliyah is a huge change, no matter what.
Unless you currently live off the grid somewhere, you're setting yourself up for major upheaval. It might be a lot to handle all at once.
The transition will be a lot easier if you first move someplace with other English speakers and a support system. After a year, you can reassess your needs, but I wouldn't just jump into totally unfamiliar surroundings.

etky

Post Sat, Feb 14 2015, 9:52 pm
There are outposts and then there are outposts. Beit Hogla is in the wilderness.
The Bik'ah has its own stark beauty but it is very different from other, more populated areas of Judea and Samaria. Beit Hogla has been trying to recruit new residents for years - it's obviously not an attractive or viable enough option for lots of people.
If you are looking for that type of isolation then go for it.
Otherwise, you should know that you will be very cut off living there - both from a social and security perspective.

chani8

Post Sat, Feb 14 2015, 10:16 pm
I think this is a fun and exciting opportunity for you.

My aliya advice:

How is your Hebrew?

And, don't trust your neighbors with your children. Don't even trust the neighbor's children with your children. Get to know them well, first.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 5:01 am
chani8 wrote:
I think this is a fun and exciting opportunity for you.

My aliya advice:

How is your Hebrew?

And, don't trust your neighbors with your children. Don't even trust the neighbor's children with your children. Get to know them well, first.
while that idea may sound fun, aliyah is a BIG change in of itself for a family to go through and then to be that isolated. I personally do not think it is a good idea OP.

Also, chani, why such terrible things to say about neighbors? Not all neighbors are not trustable. Really. Please dont scare the OP. Many many many neighbors are extremely worth trusting.

chani8

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 6:03 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
while that idea may sound fun, aliyah is a BIG change in of itself for a family to go through and then to be that isolated. I personally do not think it is a good idea OP.

Also, chani, why such terrible things to say about neighbors? Not all neighbors are not trustable. Really. Please dont scare the OP. Many many many neighbors are extremely worth trusting.

You and others gave your opinions, and well put. And I gave mine. Based on my experience. You know me, can't pass up the opportunity to warn people about the pedophile problem.

Making aliya to a yishuv is special and exciting. Of course, it depends on how adventurous you are. If the family gets a car right away, shouldn't be too difficult to deal with the 'isolation'. In the US, people travel for 45 minutes to go to work, all the time.

Hopefully the majority of the people on a yishuv are good people. But there are always untrustworthy folk, no matter where you live. A yishuv just gives off a sense of family from the get go, which can cause new olim to let their guard down, accepting offers for babysitting from people who are basically complete strangers.

Of course there are good neighbors, but how do you know who is good (or rather, who is not) until you're there for awhile?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions