Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Real food mm
Previous  1  2  3

Sanguine

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 3:28 am
Iymnok wrote:
One year we got 2 or 3. That's why I buy the lox and use the rolls we receive. We've also gotten deli sandwiches and sliced veggies with dip that are prepared a day or two before.
sliced veggies is too much work after last year's salads... And I would give only one bagel so it may be nice to get but not so nice to give. (And bagels are expensive! 5 shekel just for the bagel!)

I'm convinced of the soup and either garlic twists if they're not too hard to make or just shkaidei marak. All I need is a bigger pareve pot and I can make different soups for supper till then (I do that a lot anyway), and each time fill 2 or 3 containers to freeze.

I hope it's cold on Purim so people really appreciate getting some soup then Very Happy (I'd love some right now)

luppamom

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 3:45 am
imasoftov wrote:

lol, I like those too in the right places

luppamom

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 3:46 am
Sanguine wrote:
sliced veggies is too much work after last year's salads... And I would give only one bagel so it may be nice to get but not so nice to give. (And bagels are expensive! 5 shekel just for the bagel!)

I'm convinced of the soup and either garlic twists if they're not too hard to make or just shkaidei marak. All I need is a bigger pareve pot and I can make different soups for supper till then (I do that a lot anyway), and each time fill 2 or 3 containers to freeze.

I hope it's cold on Purim so people really appreciate getting some soup then Very Happy (I'd love some right now)

I've baked bagels before. That's probably what the people are doing if they're budgets are tight. Not saying I would do it. It is way too much work.

Twinster

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 5:40 am
Would any of you eat cheesecake, or would you also worry about how long it was left out?

amother

Post Fri, Feb 13 2015, 6:23 am
op here-Thanks for all the replies.

Regarding the soup- I was going to use this idea to wrap it if I do it.

http://www.estherodesign.com/w.....anot/

regarding bagels- I always make my own bagels and would do the same if I did for MM. I use this recipe but just use more apple juice than water ( I didvide the water) so mezonot. I have also done them with whole wheat only and they were amazing!

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
1 ½ tablespoons of granulated sugar
1 ¼ cups of warm water (you may need ± ¼ cup more, I know I did)
3 ½ cups (500g) of bread flour or high gluten flour(will need extra for kneading)
1 ½ teaspoons of salt

Optional Toppings:
Caraway seeds, coarse salt, minced fresh garlic, minced fresh onion, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds. (Everyone in my house prefers plain bagels, but I have no preference, so I just went with the plain, so no one could complain.)

Preparation:
1. In ½ cup of the warm water, pour in the sugar and yeast. Do not stir. Let it sit for five minutes, and then stir the yeast and sugar mixture, until it all dissolves in the water.

2. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast and sugar mixture.

3. Pour half of the remaining warm water into the well. Mix and stir in the rest of the water as needed. Depending on where you live, you may need to add anywhere from a couple tablespoons to about ¼ cup of water. You want to result in a moist and firm dough after you have mixed it.

4. On a floured countertop, knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Try working in as much flour as possible to form a firm and stiff dough.

5. Lightly brush a large bowl with oil and turn the dough to coat. Cover the bowl with a damp dish towel. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size. Punch the dough down, and let it rest for another 10 minutes.

4005352846 0fa64325ff z New York Style Bagel Recipe

6. Carefully divide the dough into 8 pieces (I used a scale to be extra precise, but it’s not necessary). Shape each piece into a round. Now, take a dough ball, and press it gently against the countertop (or whatever work surface you’re using) moving your hand and the ball in a circular motion pulling the dough into itself while reducing the pressure on top of the dough slightly until a perfect dough ball forms (as pictured below). Repeat with 7 other dough rounds.

4005918294 1ef96ce2d1 z New York Style Bagel Recipe

7. Coat a finger in flour, and gently press your finger into the center of each dough ball to form a ring. Stretch the ring to about ⅓ the diameter of the bagel and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Repeat the same step with the remaining dough.

8. After shaping the dough rounds and placing them on the cookie sheet, cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425ºF / 220ºC / Gas Mark 7.

4005354878 853e2d488b z New York Style Bagel Recipe

9. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Reduce the heat. Use a slotted spoon or skimmer to lower the bagels into the water. Boil as many as you are comfortable with boiling. Once the bagels are in, it shouldn’t take too long for them to float to the top (a couple seconds). Let them sit there for 1 minute, and them flip them over to boil for another minute. Extend the boiling times to 2 minutes each, if you’d prefer a chewier bagel (results will give you a more New York Style bagel with this option).

4004595939 baab4dc795 z New York Style Bagel Recipe

10. If you want to top your bagels with stuff, do so as you take them out of the water, you may use the “optional toppings” (listed above) to top the bagels and if you’re risky like me, make a combination of the toppings to top the bagels with, but before hand, you will need to use an egg wash to get the toppings to stick before putting the bagels into the oven.

11. Once all the bagels have boiled (and have been topped with your choice of toppings), transfer them to a lightly oiled baking sheet.

12. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.

13. Cool on a wire rack

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:21 pm
Im thinking about doing personal sized pizzas And a coke Would people enjoy that? It would probably come cold, but could be re warmed I guess...

sky

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 4:36 am
amother wrote:
op here-Thanks for all the replies.

Regarding the soup- I was going to use this idea to wrap it if I do it.

http://www.estherodesign.com/w.....anot/

that is so pretty. I used to do soup and rolls.

I would put the soup in a taller plastic container (maybe 2 lb ??). 2 Rolls in it its own plastic bag. Place the roll bag on top of the soup container and place them all in a large cellophane bag and tie with a ribbon. But I hear in israel there are no cellophane bags. It was cheap m'm to make in advance.

pause

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 5:37 am
sky wrote:
that is so pretty. I used to do soup and rolls.

I would put the soup in a taller plastic container (maybe 2 lb ??). 2 Rolls in it its own plastic bag. Place the roll bag on top of the soup container and place them all in a large cellophane bag and tie with a ribbon. But I hear in israel there are no cellophane bags. It was cheap m'm to make in advance.

So what do you do now?

sky

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 6:18 am
pause wrote:
So what do you do now?

More recently I've done onion rolls with cream cheese (mini packages) and a small corn salad.
or whole wheat rolls and baby carrots [super cheap at Aldis] with techina and chummus (homemade).
I used to find large takeout containers at amazing savings for about .45 to hold everything. This year they don't have it.
I'm not sure what I'm doing, probably something with rolls. I have to make a lot and want to keep the price low.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 6:55 am
sky wrote:

But I hear in israel there are no cellophane bags.

I've found cellophane in the local chad paami.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:28 am
tigerwife wrote:
I've found cellophane in the local chad paami.

Here it comes already in a bag. So you just slide the item in and tie a bow without fighting to wrap the item. (could be it comes in a bag there as well).

Iymnok

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:33 am
sky wrote:
Here it comes already in a bag. So you just slide the item in and tie a bow without fighting to wrap the item. (could be it comes in a bag there as well).

It must, we get so much from gan in cellophane bags.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics