Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The government should fund 2 year colleges

southernbubby

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:30 pm
http://www.latimes.com/opinion......html

I go to a physical therapist and he is paying $1000 per month interest on his student loans (7%) and he figures that he will be paying for the rest of his life. He meanwhile has 2 small children that he is unable to put away money for their education because he has such a large debt on his own. He rents a home from his in-laws and when he comes home, his wife goes to work. Now the world needs PTs and other well trained health care providers but the cost is very high.
Meanwhile, the PT facility also employs assistants that have 2 year degrees and these assistants earn approx $45,000 per year to assist the patients with the exercises that the PT prescribes.

The ancient outdated model of the government giving 12 years of schooling is proving to make many people unemployable as anything substantial. The government should pay for 2 years of college because many people could live on what they earn with a 2 year degree. This should be true even if they return to college after raising children or working.

marina

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 1:07 pm
I think the gov should pay for trade school and certain degrees fully- those that are likely to lead to lucrative jobs that will result in more money to the IRS.

First, a college degree today is like a high school was 50 years ago. Just like the government paid for high school, so too it should now pay for college. Second, it's an investment. People are more likely to pay more taxes if they have better jobs which is more likely if they go to college.

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 1:44 pm
marina wrote:
I think the gov should pay for trade school and certain degrees fully- those that are likely to lead to lucrative jobs that will result in more money to the IRS.

First, a college degree today is like a high school was 50 years ago. Just like the government paid for high school, so too it should now pay for college. Second, it's an investment. People are more likely to pay more taxes if they have better jobs which is more likely if they go to college.

In theory I agree, however, there must be fiscal accountability. When the government started giving more money for student loans tuition skyrocketed. When money is available like this, the spending gets crazy every single time.

You would also have to look at the impact on four year colleges. They are competing for the same resources.

Also, there will be more people competing for those 2 year degree jobs and there will be an education deflation so the 2 year degree will be deflated to a HS degree.

Perhaps students should be forced to work in certain areas and the debt forgiven much like they do on Wall Street when a person is given up front money to switch firms. A certain amount is forgiven every year.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 2:04 pm
The 2 year degree is already a high school degree.

Maybe we should restore apprenticeships to high school.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 2:13 pm
My DH is in school right now for PT, and we're looking at a mountain of loans. Believe me, I would happily have accepted 2 years free. However, whenever the government gives out money there is no fiscal accountability, and it only results in long-term debt for the government. And that is why, although I am very nogaiah bedovar, I try to think long term, and I don't think this is a good idea.
I would be much happier with a government program that offers more grants and financial aid for high scoring students. That would be rewarding students who are already doing well, resulting in greater ROI, and less free money floating around for everyone who finagles their way into a college whether they actually attend or not.

happybeingamom

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:20 pm
How about finding ways to reduce the cost of higher education.

Certain careers can be taught in high school and students who need more years of schooling for their career should be able to take classes to their degree.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics