Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Modern Orthodox in Brooklyn

amother

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 3:27 pm
My husband and I are modern orthodox and also Israeli. I'm currently thinking about my kids' future education (they're toddlers right now) and noticed there are a lot of good jewish schools in Brooklyn. I'm not sure if this would happen, but I'm willing to do research now. Which part of Brooklyn is best to live in with a nice modern orthodox community (and some Israelis? sepharadics as well) and modern orthodox schools in the area?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 3:34 pm
yeshiva of Flatbush would be your best bet: coed, zionistic, excellent education in both English and Hebrew

nicole81

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 3:38 pm
mill basin/georgetown would be a good fit community-wise. there's only one school in the neighborhood which may or may not be a good fit, but you could get a school bus to any of the MO schools in flatbush (yeshiva of flatbush, derech hatorah, shulamith) or make a 15 minute drive.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 10:27 am
be aware that if you choose yeshivah of Flatbush it will be almost entirely Sephardic.

nyer1

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:44 pm
And very very very expensive :/

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:54 pm
I know you said Brooklyn, but if you are looking in the NYC area, Staten Island has a very nice modern orthodox community with a variety of shuls with 2 schools JFS - more modern co-ed and RJJ more orthodox - 2 separate schools (boys and girls) but some moderns kids go there also.

You get the out of town feel but are still in the city.

nicole81

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
I know you said Brooklyn, but if you are looking in the NYC area, Staten Island has a very nice modern orthodox community with a variety of shuls with 2 schools JFS - more modern co-ed and RJJ more orthodox - 2 separate schools (boys and girls) but some moderns kids go there also.

You get the out of town feel but are still in the city.

this reminds me that JFS is also an option from brooklyn in case you were interested. they actually charge cheaper tuition if you send from brooklyn, and there is transportation from mill basin, too.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 8:39 pm
Y did I think yeshiva of Flatbush is mostly ashknaz? I knw Magen David is sefardic.

nicole81

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:
Y did I think yeshiva of Flatbush is mostly ashknaz? I knw Magen David is sefardic.

it used to be, probably 15 years ago. but it has become more and more syrian over the years.

Limeonade

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 10:47 pm
I second millbasin area
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating