Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Kids Best friend moving away

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 3:43 pm
My dd 2.5 has a best friend who is moving across the country soon. They play together every day and are amazing together.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to say to her when her best friend moves. they really won't be seeing each other again.. maybe if for whatever reason we happen to travel there, but thats unlikely.

how do you explain that to such a young kid? she's going to be screaming that she wants to play with her friend and my heart is going to be breaking for her.

I know she will get over in eventually.. but how do I handle it until "eventually"comes?

nyer1

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 11:57 pm
Not sure how much a 2.5 year old will undersrand if u try to explain the situation. I would try to FaceTime or video chat to ease the transition.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 12:30 am
Honestly, she is 2.5. I am thinking if you set her up with a new playdate the next day she will get over the loss pretty quickly.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 2:40 am
not quiet... shes a very bright child.

lets just say that in october the friend and her family went to check out the new place they are moving to for 3.5 weeks. EVERY SINGLE DAY my child asked for her friend. then I was able to say that her friend is coming back in a few weeks... but this time, the friend wont be coming back.
I tried having her play with others.. but she kept assking for her friend.

now shes about 6 months older... and she didnt get any dumber

water_bear88

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 4:14 am
amother wrote:
not quiet... shes a very bright child.

lets just say that in october the friend and her family went to check out the new place they are moving to for 3.5 weeks. EVERY SINGLE DAY my child asked for her friend. then I was able to say that her friend is coming back in a few weeks... but this time, the friend wont be coming back.
I tried having her play with others.. but she kept assking for her friend.

now shes about 6 months older... and she didnt get any dumber

Can you try to talk about it before it happens? It might help make it more understandable. I was about 4 when my best friend's family made aliyah- I remember we went when they had a yard sale a little before the move, and someone must have talked to me. It definitely hurts to have your best friend move away at any age, but it doesn't need to be traumatizing if she's prepared.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics