Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Hate Job, Hardly Making $, Quit?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:06 am
I am currently at a WAH job that is very boring and is hard for me to do all the hrs. b/c it is so boring, I can hardly sit. It also pays around minimum wage and by the end of the month, it accumulates to a lot of work and stress and pennies in return.

Lately, I've been having technical troubles and may have to purchase a new computer in order to continue working at this job. What should I do? Part of me wants to quit and just not work and take care of my baby, until I find a different job, but the other part of me says that I don't have anything else and even though I'm just making pennies, it's part of my hishtadlus for parnassah. I am not expecting that it will be easy for me to find another job so fast either. But, I really don't want to invest money in a new computer for a job that I dislike, stresses me and is not profitable.

What do you think?

chayamiriam

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:14 am
Depends on How much do u need the money?

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:15 am
Is there a way to double/triple your income with the company quickly? If not, I see no reason to continue.

as far as boring, parts of one of my businesses can be boring (copy/paste on the computer) so when I need to do that part of my work, I put on my favorite tv shows. Smile Or listen to great music.

are you sure your computer can't just be fixed? maybe you don't need a new computer.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:19 am
Apply for new jobs, and don't quit until you have a new one. If you need the money, you need the money. Even if the job is boring.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:38 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
Is there a way to double/triple your income with the company quickly? If not, I see no reason to continue.

as far as boring, parts of one of my businesses can be boring (copy/paste on the computer) so when I need to do that part of my work, I put on my favorite tv shows. Smile Or listen to great music.

are you sure your computer can't just be fixed? maybe you don't need a new computer.

I can't fix the computer. I already did. It's working the best that it will ever work Sad Music is a good idea, but it's very detail oriented and I need to be able to think. Otherwise, I'd be doing s/t else to keep me entertained in a heartbeat!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:44 am
OP here. Financially we are currently doing OK B"H, B"H, B"H, bli ayin hora (this has almost never been the case until now, that is why I took this job). My job does not make us or break us. Due to some money we are currently receiving (no, I am not supported, don't want to start another thread on that), we can afford the rent and the groceries for now. But, I'm not sure how long this will last as the money will likely run out.

But, in the short-term and long-term, it would be helpful to have savings. I am anticipating needing to furnish an apartment in another 6 mos. I am going to try to get most things 2nd hand, but it will still likely be expensive.

Basically, I'm not seeing job=rent or job=groceries first hand. When that it is the equation, it is much more motivating. B"H it's not. But, I really should be thinking long term. But, when a month's worth of stress equals $200.00, it really demoralizes me.

MMCH

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:01 am
I took on a teaching job this year, that I am slowly coming to hate, that is also basically leaving me with nothing after I pay the babysitter.

My dh is very annoyed at me, bc after taxes, and student loans, I'm actually paying to work.

I signed a contract so I'm not quitting.
Lesson Learned.

Last edited by MMCH on Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:01 am
OP, do you live in Israel?
I live in Israel and also work a WAH job (with computers - telemarketing). In the beginning, I also found it very demoralizing and felt like I was working an easy but very boring and demeaning job for only 1600 shekel a month (that's around $400).
But we need the money. So I changed my outlook that my job does not MAKE ME who I am. My neshama, my character traits, my family, my beliefs make me who I am. A job (assuming it is nothing illegal or immoral) is just a way to make money and acquire things we need. Once I changed my outlook, the job became a lot easier.
And when I come across rude or demeaning people on the phone - I feel sorry for them. Because they're probably also rude to other people, not just telemarketers. Instead of getting offended, I say "who cares? They don't know me. NEXT." And I let it roll off and move on to the next caller. Tongue Out

Also, I agree that you should apply to other jobs in the meantime and not quit the current job until you find a new one that you like better.
It is worthwhile to purchase a computer, since I'm guessing you will need it for other things (internet? email? imamother? Smile) and it can enable you to work this job or a different job.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:10 am
amother wrote:
OP, do you live in Israel?
I live in Israel and also work a WAH job (with computers - telemarketing). In the beginning, I also found it very demoralizing and felt like I was working an easy but very boring and demeaning job for only 1600 shekel a month (that's around $400).
But we need the money. So I changed my outlook that my job does not MAKE ME who I am. My neshama, my character traits, my family, my beliefs make me who I am. A job (assuming it is nothing illegal or immoral) is just a way to make money and acquire things we need. Once I changed my outlook, the job became a lot easier.
And when I come across rude or demeaning people on the phone - I feel sorry for them. Because they're probably also rude to other people, not just telemarketers. Instead of getting offended, I say "who cares? They don't know me. NEXT." And I let it roll off and move on to the next caller. Tongue Out

Also, I agree that you should apply to other jobs in the meantime and not quit the current job until you find a new one that you like better.
It is worthwhile to purchase a computer, since I'm guessing you will need it for other things (internet? email? imamother? Smile) and it can enable you to work this job or a different job.

I do live in Israel. The computer I have is functional, but I am not sure if it's functional enough to bill someone for my time. I don't dislike the job b/c it's beneath me, it's more that I cannot sit for so long doing things that require very little thought or inter-personal relationship at home by myself (well w/ the company of my sleeping DD). It is so much stress and I'm making less than you. I don't want to quit b/c as I said, al pi teva, things will get tough financially in the near future. But, when it involves buying a new computer, especially in Israel, it might take several months of work just to pay the computer off... That's the main reason why I am thinking about this now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics