Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hectic morning breakfast ideas ?

mommyfirst

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:09 pm
My kids end up eating cold cereal most days , just because it's the easiest. But I feel so guilty. Shouldn't I be providing more warm and nutritious breakfasts? It's just too crazy in the morning to even make scrambled eggs without them burning.

Looking for easy and nutritious breakfast ideas.

And also looking to feel less guilty about the cold cereal ... Wink

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:13 pm
mommyfirst wrote:
My kids end up eating cold cereal most days , just because it's the easiest. But I feel so guilty. Shouldn't I be providing more warm and nutritious breakfasts? It's just too crazy in the morning to even make scrambled eggs without them burning.

My DD loved leftover rice nuked with frozen peas and an egg on top. I also let her have popcorn with nutritional yeast and nori on it. And she loved leftover dinner for breakfast, soup or chilli etc.

smss

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:18 pm
make mini quiches/frittatas and freeze in portions - defrost in fridge the night before
or make a big frittata/crustless quiche every couple days, cut slices and keep in fridge

(btw frittata is just a fancy name for scrambled eggs with veggies, baked in the oven instead of made on the stove! like an omelet, but baked.)

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 11:40 pm
My kids love the individual oatmeal packages, just add hot water and you have a bowl of hot oatmeal. We buy the variety packs so everyone can have the flavor they like.

Shani88

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:34 am
I really don't understand why you feel guilty about the cereal... I love cereal and my siblings and I always had it for breakfast growing up. We had a huge variety and used to add some cut up bananas to corn flakes or rice crispies. We would also mix a sweet cereal with a non sweet cereal. We looked forward to breakfast everyday Smile

granolamom

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 6:52 pm
mommyfirst wrote:

ditch the guilt.
you SHOULD be serving breakfast. what that breakfast is or looks like varies from family to family. I serve beautiful breakfasts but you should see my dinner table embarrassed its not much to speak of and no, we dont eat as a family. happens to be that my kids are early risers and their school starts relatively late so we have three hours in the morning. they dont like big dinners which is why I dont bother with 'good dinners'. so you do what works for you.
that said, if you want to start beefing up the breakfasts, could you prep everything the night before to lessen the chaos in the morning? could you get up earlier? and the big question, is it worth it? do the kids seem to need a bigger breakfast? do they like their cereal? do you really want to be prepping and serving a bigger meal first thing in the morning?
do what works. there are no 'shoulds'
you're doing fine. if you still feel guilty, put some cut up fruit on the table. or yogurts.

Barbara

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 6:57 pm
Nothing wrong with cereal, but if you ever want to make eggs, make egg mugs:

http://www.epicurious.com/arch......html

you can add veggies or cheese as well.

Shoelover

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:16 pm
Add bananas to cereal and milk

NTR150153

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 9:45 pm
I make granola and put in tupperware cereal container. eat with milk just like any cereal. very nutritious and filling. it has oatmeal, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, coconut, honey ....

mommyfirst

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 9:46 pm
OP... thx for the ideas !
And granolamom-- u are so right! My kids are fine with cereal and milk ... It's just me that feels bad. So if I have time to do something else , fine. And if not .. Goodbye guilt !!l
Love this site Wink

rising hero

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 1:36 pm
Bake a batch of healthy muffins! Easy!

abby1776

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 1:41 pm
My kids eat:
yogurt
eggs (made in the microwave)
cold pasta
fruit
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics