Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Sleep Away Camp

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 3:12 pm
I am looking for a sleep away camp for my son. He has ADHD but is under medication, so he's an awesomely amazingly funny, smart and focused kid from 7AM to 4PM. Which means between 4PM and 7AM he gets moody, destructive, disruptive, violent, sad, angry, frazzled and whiny.

So basically he's a regular kid half of the day, and the other half needs special attention, love, and especially patience.

My biggest concern is that he will never get to experience camp like all his friends or brothers. He already feels different. I want him to have a typical summer experience. I wish I could put him in a regular Camp, I just don't see what kind of regular camp would be able to deal with his tantrums and meltdowns on an almost daily basis.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 3:19 pm
amother wrote:
I am looking for a sleep away camp for my son. He has ADHD but is under medication, so he's an awesomely amazingly funny, smart and focused kid from 7AM to 4PM. Which means between 4PM and 7AM he gets moody, destructive, disruptive, violent, sad, angry, frazzled and whiny.

So basically he's a regular kid half of the day, and the other half needs special attention, love, and especially patience.

My biggest concern is that he will never get to experience camp like all his friends or brothers. He already feels different. I want him to have a typical summer experience. I wish I could put him in a regular Camp, I just don't see what kind of regular camp would be able to deal with his tantrums and meltdowns on an almost daily basis.

What flavor of Judaism are you?

I have a friend whose son has learning differences, and who can be difficult to deal with. He did very well at Ramah Poconos -- NOT the other Ramahs. Its Conservative, but if you're open to it, give them a call.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 3:38 pm
I think HASC has a two week program for kids with ADHD/high fuctioning autism, - my friend's son who has some motor skills issues (but is in mainstream school) goes and has a great time.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
What flavor of Judaism are you?

I have a friend whose son has learning differences, and who can be difficult to deal with. He did very well at Ramah Poconos -- NOT the other Ramahs. Its Conservative, but if you're open to it, give them a call.

OP here
I'm Chabad but I don't mind something MO. The thing is my son is very spiritual and loves all the davening and learning and really thrives and excells in Judaics. I would hate for him to not have that. So Conservative is out. But MO could work.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 4:33 pm
What about Camp Kaylie?

markmywords

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 5:19 pm
Has he ever had a friend sleep over or slept by a friend overnight?

ROFL

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 6:40 pm
I second camp kaylie

animeme

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:44 pm
Any chance you can add a few hours with a short-acting med in the summer, when he can go to bed later?

I also like Kaylie. It has a variety of haskafos fo the kids. But call now; some divisions are full. Once you get him in, call up an give them a full explanation of what you said here. If you end up sending, pm me and I'll tell you who to call.

If he's really tantruming daily, it might not be so simple for him to go there, but it's also possible that at camp he won't tantrum daily. Kaylie demands less than I do around the year from my ds and gives a lot if choices for activities, so he may feel less irritable. I also found that he easily did ADL's like tooth brushing on his own there when at home I had to bribe or discipline him, which could lead to tantrums.

How old is he?

animeme

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:45 pm
Adding for Kaylie that their Shiur time is short, but there's a be is medrash with a kollel of young men where your D's can pretty much spend any time he doesn't want to do the bunk's activities.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)