Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Where to stay for New York Convention

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:28 pm
Hi. I will be coming into New York for a convention at the Javitz Center, and trying to arrange the trip.
Does anyone know which areas are easiest to stay in? I can stay with friends in Brooklyn, or East flatbush or monsey or Lakewood. Is staying in one any closer or easier to get back and forth from? Or is there a reasonably priced hotel that anyone knows of in Manhattan? I tried priceline but not sure about which areas are safe etc.

Thanks so much!

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:31 pm
brooklyn is big, so I'd stay between that friend and east flatbush friend, whoever is closer to manhattan, cheaper to just take a subway, or two or whatever, then to stay in jersey and pay the tolls/nj transit

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:47 pm
thanks for your reply! would you know which area of Brooklyn would be closest? would near kings plaza vs. boro park make a difference?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:49 pm
or Lawrence?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:49 pm
Forget Lawrence unless your host drives into the city. Otherwise you have to get a ride or take a cab to the LIRR station, take LIRR to Penn Station, much more expensive than subway. Kings Plaza is deeper into Bklyn than BP but it depends where in BP. Your best bet is if they live near F or D train, straight shot to 34th St & 6th Ave, then 34th St. crosstown bus (slow and infrequent) to javits center. OR walk crosstown if you're a great walker. OR change at West 4th St. from D or F on lower level to A, C, or E on upper level, take to 34th & 8th Ave. and walk crosstown to Javits center. An extra connection but saves walking a good few avenue blocks, which are the long ones.

doctorima

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 4:49 am
Go to hopstop.com and type in addresses of friends to see what will be involved in getting to the Javits Center, how long it will take from each, and how many transfers.

morah

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 5:33 am
Penn Station is very close to the Javitts Center, so if you stayed in Lawrence, it would be very easy (you'd just need a ride to the station, which is easy, most people around there who work in the city take the train). It's more expensive than the subway, but not THAT expensive, it is still less than 10 bucks. Brooklyn is fine too as long as you're near a F, D, C, or A train. Though the C train is rather scuzzy, so try to avoid that one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics