Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim cards for charity

Who would you send Purim Cards to instead of mishloach manos/
Almost everyone on my list, why waste money on candy that will end up in the trash?  
 18%  [ 2 ]
To about half the people on my list  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Only to acquaintances but not to friends  
 0%  [ 0 ]
No one, people don't even see the cards, they go straight into recycling  
 81%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 11

irrationalrose

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 1:08 pm
Would you send Purim Cards instead of mishloach manos to the people on your list? I really don't want to spend tons on making a million m.m. that will not be eaten because of various allergies, chumros, tastes, etc but not sure if the cards are an adequate replacement.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 2:17 pm
irrationalrose wrote:
Would you send Purim Cards instead of mishloach manos to the people on your list? I really don't want to spend tons on making a million m.m. that will not be eaten because of various allergies, chumros, tastes, etc but not sure if the cards are an adequate replacement.

No, they do not replace MM. But there is no NEED to replace MM. It's PERFECTLY FINE to not send everyone MM. Even if they send to you. You will not be banished from society.

If someone sends me a card, that's nice, I'm happy they gave tzedaka, but I'm assuming they do all the time, really no need to tell me about it.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:12 pm
Truthfully I would rather get nothing than get a card. A card means I was thought about and then it was decided that I don't rate a MM. Getting nothing just means the person ran out MM or didn't have time to get to my house.

I don't have a list of people I have to give. I give teachers and then make an X number and whoever comes to my door or I get to them then I give.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:17 pm
I never understood this gesture ... if you want to give tzedaka - go ahead

what does it have to do with me ?

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:14 pm
For a few years I sent these cards to ppl I can't send MM because they do not live nearby, but to whom I would send if they lived near us. But then I stopped. If I think of you @ Purim time I can email you a message. I am happy to give $ to Chai Lifeline or whomever, but hold the cards. I will sill give you $. Probably more than if you hock my cheinik with all kinds of useless merchandise.

In any case, the cards do nothing towards fulfilling the mitzvah. But you are yotze the mitzvah with just two food portions to one person.

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:15 pm
But hey, you cannot blame the orgs for trying. Anything to raise a few bucks, and these cards seem to be real popular.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 11:11 pm
I actually think it's a really nice idea though I've never done it. No, it does not replace your obligation for MM, but the obligation for MM is not to give every person in the world. So you can do a few MM and then give some donation cards.

The reason I find the idea appealing is because personally I give away 98% of the MM contents we receive. It's typically junk food or stuff we don't eat so I send everything to DH's office for his employees to devour. I always think about how nice it would have been for the money spent on junk food nobody wants to have been given to tzedakah and actually helped people instead.

But I've been hesitant to do the cards because most other people actually seem to like getting MM, junk food or not, and might be disappointed with a donation card instead. Gaging by the reactions here, it would not be appreciated.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 6:35 am
I would rather get nothing. I don't get those cards. It's braggy to show you gave tzedaka, anyway. And in my name? huh?

(I do read the cards though)

Last edited by Ruchel on Fri, Feb 20 2015, 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total

saw50st8

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 7:30 am
causemommysaid wrote:
Truthfully I would rather get nothing than get a card. A card means I was thought about and then it was decided that I don't rate a MM. Getting nothing just means the person ran out MM or didn't have time to get to my house.

I don't have a list of people I have to give. I give teachers and then make an X number and whoever comes to my door or I get to them then I give.

My Aunt and Uncle do this for Purim. I think it's so nice - they are doing a mitzva relating to Purim (matanot levyonim) and letting me know it's in my honor. I'm sure they fulfill the actual mitzva of MM simply because it's who they are. You are viewing MM as a "prize" of some sort. It's not.

We don't do it because my kids are young and I think they enjoy the process of MM, especially to their friends.

irrationalrose

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 10:49 am
I'm kind of surprised about the negative reactions! I thought the cards were just either nice or neutral and it didn't even occur to me that some people might be irritated by getting them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics