Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Credit card settlement

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 1:37 pm
Has anyone settled with Capital One or Amex? Just wondering how low you can go? I've heard that Citi lets you get 20% One card my neighbor opened and wracked up a bill of 5,000 which they never paid. We are not on speaking terms and I cannot afford to pay this. Another one I opened when I had more income and then lost that job. TIA

Emotional

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 1:52 pm
Your neighbor did that to you? Isn't that identity theft?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 1:55 pm
Emotional wrote:
Your neighbor did that to you? Isn't that identity theft?

Yes, but I am not interested in fighting with them.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:30 am
Can I have your date of birth and social security number?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:33 am
Y would you give your neighbor your credit info??

I would take them do a din torah over it if you have any type of binding agreement.

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:45 am
Did you give them permission?

This is more complicated because you will have to pay taxes on the forgiveness of debt unless you are still insolvent.

shoshanim999

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 11:02 am
How much total credit card debt do u have? Its important to consider in ur decision.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 1:25 pm
I have around I have around $6,000 total (of which $5,000) is from the neighbor. I did not give them permission, but I do not want to take them to din torah because they have slandered other people in the past and im not interested in fighting with them. I'd rather just pay it and then pay taxes on what was saved. I want to get back on track and start building my credit again now that I am employed with a steady job - I don't want to pay an entire $5,000 that was never mine to begin with.

asp40

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:33 am
Just something to consider. If they committed this fraud to you once, then can do it again. So you might pay this off, and then they do it again. What will you do then?

SRS

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:47 am
You have to bring this to the credit card company and the proper authorities. If they did this to you, they are doing this to others. This is a cancer in your community and you need to be at the forefront of stopping it.

SRS

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 9:56 am
Furthermore, by allowing them to steal your identity, steal money from you, and by settling stealing money from AMEX or Citicard, I think you would have a share in their averiah. Call a Rav immediately. Don't sit by while your blood is spilled and I have no idea how this family got your identify, but if they managed to get it because the wife or husband works in an institution and has access to payroll information or something, they could be doing this to hundreds of families.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:07 am
Victim of identity theft here.

Unless you change your SSN (and trust me, you can't change it over one instance of identity theft without proof that your SSN was sold to a list) they will do it again. Clearing your credit just gives your NEIGHBOR a better credit score for running up debt IN YOUR NAME. And no credit card company (or debt collector, or lawyer suing you for nonpayment of debt) is going to bat an eye at your claims that "my neighbor did it" without a police report against your neighbor.

You are setting yourself and your family up for financial ruin. As much as you are concerned about your reputation, please trust me when I say that people in severe debt with horrible credit and legal actions against them don't do any better in shidduchim just because nobody (especially a neighbor who sounds pretty untrustworthy to begin with) was motzoi shem ra on them.

nywife

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 12:13 pm
You should 100% seek legal and halachic advice. There is no reason why you should have to work to pay something someone stole from you. In addition to that you don't want this on your credit score.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 1:47 pm
First of all if ur neighbor used ur card without ur permission then u r probably not responsible for the charges. Its as if u lost ur card and someone found it and spent a few thousand dollars on it, its not ur responsibility. Can u clarify how ur neighbor came about using ur card?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics