Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Agudah, Rayim, Romimu, or?????

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:15 am
So I have a very sensitive 10 yo DS who would like to go to sleep away camp for one half this summer. He goes to a "regular" Litvishe Yeshiva. He is not sports oriented, enjoys woodwork, and making things with his hands (arts and crafts, baking ) which I know does not exist in a boys camp.

Is there any boys sleepaway camp out there that caters to a quieter boy whose life is totally not revolved around sports? Also, do any of the camps have a reputation of having staff that may have to deal with a potentially shy, maybe homesick kid who needs to be brought out of his shell?

Suggestions please!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:50 am
My boys go to Camp Bonim. As a camp, it has a much more laid-back kind of feel to it. Most of the bunks are really small (6-7 boys or so) so it's harder to get lost in the crowd or get picked on without a counselor noticing. A lot of the activties (as in most camps) were sports, but I have one son who hates sports, but he was very happy with the boating and go-carts and other activities that they have there. He was also loved the learning there (and it's not something that this son usually enjoys) so we were really happy with that.

There was one incident with one of my sons who felt picked on (whether he was or wasn't was a little subjective) and we spoke to his counselor and after that there were no problems at all. The counselors are all nice, shtark boys.

One other thing that can either be a positive or a drawback depending on your son was that the camp seems to allow much more freedom and free time than other camps. This was very good for that one son of mine (and the other didn't care) because it allowed him to do more of the things that he enjoyed (like going to the canteen, taking a boat out, fishing, etc..)

I just think that it's a nice simple camp, and I have so far been very pleased. (It's also cheaper than other camps.)

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:52 am
OP here- thanks amother- it sounded great until you got to the "free time" part- This kid and too much free time are NOT a good thing. He thrives in a structured enviroment.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 12:43 pm
My guy went to Romimu for the past 4 years. He's also a shy, quiet kid who has absolutely no interest in sports. I never wanted to send him to sleepaway camp, but he begged and begged. It turns out that his time at Romimu has probably been the happiest months in his life.
He tolerates the sports, even if he doesn't love it. He mostly hangs out with other science fiction-y kids. The counselors have been very supportive of him, and the Pfeiffers are absolutely unbelievable. I harrass them all year and during the summer with all my concerns. They are always polite, approachable, and they always follow through.
I know they have woodworking there....it may be an elective, I'll ask DS. I'm not sure about the level of structure. From what I can gather, the younger kids are more scheduled and structured, and the older kids less so. I would encourage you to discuss this with Rabbi Pfeiffer.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:57 am
anyone have boys that went to camp govoah?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 1:13 pm
Look into Camp Toras Chaim Tashbar in Liberty, which sounds perfect for you! It's small, warm, and gets a great group of boys. My boys are a little more "nerdy" and a little less "cool" and love it there! They obviously have some sports, but not as much as other camps, and they also have an arts-and-crafts program. The grounds are lovely, and it's cheaper than many other similar camps.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 8:56 am
Romimu is great. Lots of structure, boys are kept very busy and small bunks so no one gets lost in the crowd. There is a lot of sports but a lot of other activities also- ropes course, lake, go karts, biking, woodworking...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children