Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Move to Rochester- incentive program

pobody's nerfect

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 11:03 pm
Hey all!
Head to TorahRochester.com to hear all about an out-of-town community with affordable living. Great incentive program too!

BrachaBatya

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 11:21 pm
Rochester is a great small city with a vibrant Jewish community (many "types" of Jews). I lived there for a few years and really liked it.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:00 am
Until what age is it co-ed?
What is the majority of the school like- do families have tv, watch movies etc? I want my kids respecting people's differences, but not singing songs to movies I dont let them watch because that is what they hear all day.
tia!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 12:01 am
sorry double post

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 10:30 pm
Derech Hatorah is currently Coed through 4th grade. We would ideally split younger, but it depends on the size and boy/girl distribution of the grade. Older grades have combined grade claims in order to accommodate the separation. As we grow, we hope to split earlier!

Most (I'd guess 75รท or more of the student body) does not have TV or watch videos regularly. It is primarily a Yeshiva-orientedstudent body.

The school is especially incredible at helping students with behavioral or learning difficulties, both diagnosed and not. I cannot praise the principal enough.

amother wrote:
What is the majority of the school like- do families have tv, watch movies etc? I want my kids respecting people's differences, but not singing songs to movies I dont let them watch because that is what they hear all day.
tia!

mirror

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 11:50 pm
What is the weather like?

pobody's nerfect

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 1:31 pm
The weather here is actually very pleasant most of the year. Spring is gorgeous, with blossoming trees lining the streets. Summer is warm- 70s and 80s with low humidity. Fall is lovely. Winter cam be a bit rough, but not as awful as the stories you hear from buffalo. It gets slightly colder than NYC and we have more snowfall. But the city deals with it well and we all make it through to that gorgeous spring!

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:04 pm
are there a lot of young families there?

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:35 pm
"A lot"is a very subjective term. "Young" is, too.
There are several Kollel couples. in the under 30 age group I can count over 15 without even thinking hard. Make it under 40 and you might add 10 more.

busymother

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:19 pm
Is there a day camp there in the summer? How long does it go for? Also wondering if there is a kosher bakery there? Can you get kosher meat/milk or does it need to be ordered? Thanks!

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 12:59 am
amother wrote:
tia!

I teach in a very "frum" bais yaakov. The girls are still all singing songs from frozen. Honestly unless you are in the middle of Lakewood or BP kids will be singing songs from
Shows.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 7:48 am
Which kosher establishments are there?

Is there a kosher bakery, restaurant, pizza store, deli, takeout for shabbos food?

Do children get the same services in school as they would get in NYC? P3, OT, Speech Therapy, Counseling, etc? Do the services transfer over when moving from NYC to Rochester?

How much is tuition after the first two years?

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 6:31 pm
amother wrote:
Which kosher establishments are there?

Is there a kosher bakery, restaurant, pizza store, deli, takeout for shabbos food?

Do children get the same services in school as they would get in NYC? P3, OT, Speech Therapy, Counseling, etc? Do the services transfer over when moving from NYC to Rochester?

How much is tuition after the first two years?

There is a bakery, a small butcher, and an Israeli restaurant. Some factions of the town do not use the local hashgacha. You would have to look into it and determine for yourself

There is pizza sold from the Chabad house on Thursdays.

NY state is pretty generous with services. Moving between cities requires that they reprocess the paperwork, but our principal is very good at urging along the process.

Full tuition is $9,900. Scholarships are available.

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 6:39 pm
busymother wrote:
Is there a day camp there in the summer? How long does it go for? Also wondering if there is a kosher bakery there? Can you get kosher meat/milk or does it need to be ordered? Thanks!

All factions of the community send to Camp Gan Izzy. You can check out their website http://m.cgirochester.com/#_Home

The local supermarket carries tons of kosher food, including fresh chicken, meat, deli, cheese, etc. Cholov Yisrael milk is harder to come by, but chabad orders and freezes.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Apr 25 2015, 10:45 pm
I just want to say Rochester is a wonderful place to raise a family. I can't imagine living anywhere else (other than E"Y iyh ). I hope this program draws the right types of families and is successful because it would be beyond wonderful to see the community thrive. I would love to say more but it's a small town and I don't want to give myself away.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Apr 26 2015, 12:07 am
Are there any chassidim living there?
If yes, then what type?
If not, then will a chassidish family who wears the full levush feel out of place?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 3:16 pm
Bumping this interesting thread because I also have a few questions since I'm interested in Rochester....

Are there any Israelis over there?

The 2 year tuition program sounds terrific! But I'm wondering if it will continue for families that will move after the year 2016?

My husband is a teacher at a charter school in NY. Will it be difficult for him to find a job as a teacher in Rochester?

What about transportation? do they have buses all around or do people just need to drive all the time?

Parks? activities for kids? Are there any activities for kids to do around the jewish community? museums etc?

tryinghard

Post Tue, Dec 29 2015, 4:11 pm
I only just saw the response from amother in April - no there are only a few Chabad familes, no other chassidim.

amother wrote:
Bumping this interesting thread because I also have a few questions since I'm interested in Rochester....

Are there any Israelis over there?

There are a few, but not many.

amother wrote:

The 2 year tuition program sounds terrific! But I'm wondering if it will continue for families that will move after the year 2016?

It sounds as though you have until the end of 2016-2017 school year

amother wrote:
My husband is a teacher at a charter school in NY. Will it be difficult for him to find a job as a teacher in Rochester?

It's hard to say for sure - with experience he may be better off than many applicants but the only way to know for sure is to apply for jobs here and see what happens.

amother wrote:
What about transportation? do they have buses all around or do people just need to drive all the time?

There are public buses but they arent super convenient. The frum community is in a more suburban area, and you pretty much need a car (there are a very small few who do without)

amother wrote:
Parks? activities for kids? Are there any activities for kids to do around the jewish community? museums etc?

Tons! There are a million outdoor things, and an awesome Museum of Play. The Science Museum is great for kids as well, and there are a lot of other fun things. The library (and it's playground) are walkable.

feel free to PM me if you want
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating