Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to deal with 6 yr ds

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:26 am
ds is overreacting to so many things. like a boy doing a mistake , he passes him by and his kipa falls so he hits him, hes on defense. I tell him he can have choc milk when hes done eating his cereal he gets all tempered up. yes, he has a temper. its scary that he has it so young. what can I do? except to try to be as calm as possible? is that all there is? a boy rides over with his bike on the snow mountain and he screams and yells. his rebbe says he has extra tension that the kids are feeling adn they are reacting to it by having fights with him, lock him out of classroom. now hes the one starting obviously there are others who like to enjoy at good fight so they probably having fun at this point. how would you go about it obviously if you had experience? I would love to hear moms with this issue and how they dealt with it. thank you everyone

PAMOM

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 7:05 am
This child needs professional help to uncover the source of his anger responses. Now. Find a child psychiatrist or psychologist ASAP.

granolamom

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 6:16 pm
I recommend the book The Explosive Child. its really for older kids but the premise works with younger kids too. he needs help learning flexibility and to slow down his response so he can make choices. it can be done, its a lot of work, but its possible.
if you choose to find a professional, choose carefully and I recommend a few sessions without the child at first so you get a good sense of the therapists way of working. I dont think traditional behavioral mod is terribly effective, nor do I think trying to convince parents to parent in a way that doesnt resonate with them is a good tactic either. I mean, of course advice is one thing, but if you feel the therapist is pushing you to where you dont feel comfortable going, it isnt going to work.
if this is going on for a while, and it seems like his temperament, there probably arent any sinister sources of his anger. some people are just wired that way. the quicker you figure out how to help him, the better off he'll be.
wishing you lots of hatzlocha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics