Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Giving money to teachers on purim

Do you give teachers money on purim?
yes  
 60%  [ 12 ]
no  
 40%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 20

amother

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 11:34 pm
Is it generally expected to give "Purim Gelt" to the teachers with the MM? And if yes, how much is a good amount to give?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 11:54 pm
amother wrote:
Is it generally expected to give "Purim Gelt" to the teachers with the MM? And if yes, how much is a good amount to give?

I have never heard of giving gelt although I am sure that a nice gift certificate to the butcher shop or wine store taped to a small food gift would be better for the teacher than a large gift of food that he can't really use. Make sure that he knows that there is a gift certificate in the envelope. Some parents have so many teachers to give to that Purim gifts for the teachers could be a tremendous expense but I would say that $18 is nice if you can afford that. Sometimes there is a class mother who gets the whole class to pitch in some gelt so that the teacher gets one nice gift certificate along with a decent fruit basket instead of having his door bell rung all day with each student coming separately. That way, if there are some who can't fully participate, it is not as obvious.

sushi galore

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 1:41 am
It became a norm in many communities especially I believe amongst the chassidishe crowd, and many today give extravagant gifts. The happier my kids are with teachers the more I'll feel the need to give. especially as chanukka time it's class collection of a minimum amount.

tova5

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 3:58 am
I think this whole purim thing with teachers shlach monos has gone out of hand! we are running all day round town to give each teacher their s.m. every teacher has his time slot most of them the same time living at other ends of town, we have to be everywhere at the same time running like headless chickens! then the pressure how nice it has to be how much money spent etc. I think the teachers would appreciate more if we send thank you notes every other week! just a little note to express what nice week our child had in school! and wish her a good shabbos! not just once a year!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 5:51 am
My pre Shoah relatives only know of gelt giving to one's CHILDREN not random (needy? demanding?) adults.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children