Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Playing and accidents

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:08 am
My nearly 4 year old has been trained for awhile. Never has accidents at school or if we're out and about. At home, he is fine with going right when we get home or right before leaving to go somewhere. The problem is when he's busy playing, he refuses to be interrupted. If I tell him it's time to take a two minute break and go, he refuses. If I make him, he pitches a fit and pees on the bathroom floor. If I leave him alone, he will ignore it till he wets himself. I have tried timers and reward charts, I make him clean up his accidents. I have taken away whatever he was playing with until he goes. All to no avail, if he is busy, he refuses to take a bathroom break. What else can I do here?

chani8

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:19 am
I say stop fighting with him. Let him pee his pants. Eventually he'll stop doing that. He has to be in control of this, not you. You're still in control apparently. Once a child is potty trained, I don't remind them to go, ever again. Accidents do happen, but that's how the child learns. I wouldn't even tell a wet child to change his clothes. If there are other kids around, it helps because they'll usually say something. But mother should mind her own business.

mommy1108

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:19 am
We tried two different things for this. One, when he is home, keep him in a long shirt with no bottoms. He will feel much more when he has to go. Keep it going for a week. Also, we try to make it more exciting for him. My mother taught him how to stand on a stool so now he feels so big standing while he does to the bathroom. He doesn't know how to aim so he tolds the flipped up lid and leans over the toilet. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training