Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Vent: going back to school to get a better job

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:52 pm
Right now I'm a stay at home mom with 2 toddlers and another baby on the way. My husband is a teacher but makes a decent income from a charter school in NY. I feel kinda stuck but I really want to help out financially. I already have a degree in Nutrition but I'm not a Registered Dietitian. If I want to be registered, I have to take a full year (non paying) intense internship and then take the test. I tried applying for it twice before and didn't get accepted (it's competitive) before I had kids. Anyway, so I kinda gave up with this career (also, RDs don't make as much money, unless they work in a private business).

Now I'm feeling so stuck because of my career. I'm not sure what to do. I feel like we don't have enough money if I want to go back to school, but I might have to go back! Before I went into nutrition, I was thinking about going for a pharmacy degree, and I regret not doing it. Now if I actually want to go back for pharmacy, it would take 6 years! that's just nuts (I'm now a little over 30). Has anyone gone back to school while having kids? I'm sure that's difficult as well.

The thing is, I don't want to be at school for so many years. I want to start working at a good or decent paying job with a decent career so I could help out my husband financially. Also, so we could move (since we're still living in a 1 bedroom apartment with 2 kids!).

Sorry for the vent, it's just so frustrating. Some of my friends were smart about getting a good career before having kids. I guess I'm just feeling stuck and I really don't know what to do.

Jeanette

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:57 pm
I'm not sure what salaries are for RD's or what the job market looks like, but considering that you already have one income you may be able to manage on your salary. I think it makes more sense to complete the program you're already invested in than start over from scratch. This way you have only 1 unpaid year ahead of you instead of six!

SRS

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 1:17 pm
Daycare for 3 is something very difficult to afford even if you had a pharmacy degree. Perhaps you should consider working on a day your husband is home lik Sunday or in the summer if he is home and explore vocations offered by your local community college in the meantime. Some of the certificate programs in health pay well enough to make them a better option than pharmacy.

SRS

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 1:19 pm
For the registered dietitian, if you found the internship, is it paid? It might be worth one year on that if it would just cover the nanny for a year on a year everyone can be home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics