Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Weaning Baby From Paci

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 8:28 am
Has anyone done this w/ a baby under the age of 1? How did you do it? Did you find that it resulted in less wake-ups in the middle of the night?

Basically, b"H (I'm the author of "Tired" under "Nursing) my baby is now eating only once in the night (at around 12 PM and then at morning), but she often wakes up and cries, but stops when I give her a paci. This sometimes happens several times. I am thinking that the paci is the problem. I do NOT want to do CIO...

At wits end

ETA, I do not have the paci clipped to her. I give it to her during the day when she's cranky and when she takes a nap/goes to sleep for the night.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 8:48 am
Our DD was waking multiple times a night looking for her paci. She was about 7 or 8 months.
We tried to let her cry it out but couldn't go through with it, so we just kept going in to give it to her.

When she was about 1 we did it again based on a recommendation from our dr due to other factors. It was brutal - but I believe it was about 2 or 3 nights of crying and it was over.

In hindsight I am so much happier I did it then as opposed to trying to get rid of it when she was 3 or 4. My DS had a pacifier for many years and it was misery when we had to wean him at an older age.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:46 am
I find filling the crib with 4-6 pacies helps. I put one in each corner area so the baby can find one themselves, around 5 months they can put it back in themselves.

My first had his pacie until 2.5, we came back from a big trip, went to put him for his nap (didnt happen at our house) and I realized I didn't bring the pacies. I told him we left it in the plane and that was it, but his nap went also.

My second has his pacie until about the same age, maybe older. He was biting into them so I told him if he does I am not buying new ones.

My third got rid of her pacies by trading them in at the disney store for 2 dolls. She was 18 months it was the WORST THING I DID. She is 5 and hasnt taken a nap since (okay well she has here or there but a total of maybe 3 a year.) She was always exhausted and moody because she still needed her nap but didnt have the pacifier.

My 4th is currently 10 months old. I used to have to wake up for pacies every so often (not feedings) although she slept through the night at 2 months. It go annoying when I knew she knew how to take it in and out or even crawl but wouldnt get it on her own at night. That is when I remembered the multiple pacie trick and it stopped!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
I find filling the crib with 4-6 pacies helps. I put one in each corner area so the baby can find one themselves, around 5 months they can put it back in themselves.

My first had his pacie until 2.5, we came back from a big trip, went to put him for his nap (didnt happen at our house) and I realized I didn't bring the pacies. I told him we left it in the plane and that was it, but his nap went also.

My second has his pacie until about the same age, maybe older. He was biting into them so I told him if he does I am not buying new ones.

My third got rid of her pacies by trading them in at the disney store for 2 dolls. She was 18 months it was the WORST THING I DID. She is 5 and hasnt taken a nap since (okay well she has here or there but a total of maybe 3 a year.) She was always exhausted and moody because she still needed her nap but didnt have the pacifier.

My 4th is currently 10 months old. I used to have to wake up for pacies every so often (not feedings) although she slept through the night at 2 months. It go annoying when I knew she knew how to take it in and out or even crawl but wouldnt get it on her own at night. That is when I remembered the multiple pacie trick and it stopped!

I am not sure how it would work. She knows how to put pacis in her mouth, but she doesn't know how to release them into her mouth (she's 7.5 mos.) When were your babies able to do this by themselves? Also, how do they find them? Do you keep the room light?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:52 am
amother wrote:
Our DD was waking multiple times a night looking for her paci. She was about 7 or 8 months.
We tried to let her cry it out but couldn't go through with it, so we just kept going in to give it to her.

When she was about 1 we did it again based on a recommendation from our dr due to other factors. It was brutal - but I believe it was about 2 or 3 nights of crying and it was over.

In hindsight I am so much happier I did it then as opposed to trying to get rid of it when she was 3 or 4. My DS had a pacifier for many years and it was misery when we had to wean him at an older age.

I really want to try a no cry method...

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:08 am
multiple pacie amother here.

If there are enough in the crib they can reach at least 1 by simply sliding their hand around.

At this point my baby wont take a nap (sometimes night sleep) without an additional pacifier in her hands.

There is never more than a night light (basic old ones) in the room.

she is now 10 months but she's been doing this since 6-7 months.

Try it and see what happens (worse case scenerio you spent $12-18 extra on pacies, but who cant use more pacies)

smss

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 3:27 pm
I did this when my baby was about 4 months. I don't know if it would work with a much older baby.
instead of giving the paci, I just held her and rocked her. she was crying/fussing, but I was holding her and comforting her, so I felt ok with it. eventually she took her thumb and we all slept much better...not sure if that's the outcome you're hoping for though Smile

you can also try giving it to her until she calms down, then removing it, replacing it if she starts to cry again, removing when she calms down, etc. etc. etc. be forewarned, this will take a good couple of weeks to really "work"...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics