Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking to Move: Dallas? Atlanta?

amother

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 6:55 pm
We live in NY but in a run down dilapidated house (with 6 kids kn"h). Since we live in a very nice area we could get a lot for our house. I'm looking for a warmer climate and very developed Jewish community. We are yeshivish but I don't know anything about the southern Jewish communities. Does anyone have any info? I'd love a 5 bedroom house with a pool for under 500k.

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 6:57 pm
Pm me. I know about both.

doctorima

Post Sat, Jan 24 2015, 8:11 pm
Also look into Miami, which is probably more developed than either of the 2 you mentioned. Just bear in mind that wherever you go, OOT yeshivish is quite different than NY yeshivish.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 12:06 pm
sounds like Houston would be perfect for ya
https://www.facebook.com/Houst.....unity

amother

Post Sun, Jan 25 2015, 1:01 pm
Quote:
sounds like Houston would be perfect for ya

I would not exactly call the types of people moving to Houston Yeshivish. There is definitely a mix, but very few yeshivish unless you're connected to the kollel. There is also no boys high school and none in the foreseeable future.

It's a really lovely community, but not sure it's what OP is looking for.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:04 am
Many of the 50+ families who moved to Houston in the past few years are considered by most of the frum world as "yeshivish".

anyway here is another link with info on Houston http://www.movetohouston.org/

jaylow

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:31 am
I can help on Atlanta

dazzle

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 5:30 pm
What is the cost of living? Tuition, housing, insurance, food, etc?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 7:45 pm
I'm currently researching different areas of Florida, I'm Lubavitch so schools and possibly neighborhoods would be different.
Our main reason for moving is financial, currently in Brooklyn and rents are rising way too fast.

Financially the way I see it:

Home prices:
NY, nearly impossible to find anything under $800,00 and at that price usually run down and at the edge of town. Rents for my family size is minimum $2500, hard to find at that price in decent condition in good part of town.
Florida: I can buy a nice 3-4 bedroom with or without a pool for about $300,000-$350,000, rents start closer to $1300 and up

Schools:
It depends on how many kids in school, that could be a deal breaker, I pay about $5000 tuition per kid in NY, more for High School, the research I've done so far, seems about $10,000 tuition.

Food:
Kosher products are quite a bit more, I shop in Costco, Walmart, Shoprite on sale etc, so only certain items must be bought in the Kosher market.

Car insurance: I was quoted half of NY prices, obviously varies person to person.

Electricity and water are way way lower in Florida
No Gas bill as they use electric only

Medical insurance, I haven't done research yet, just starting

Not 100% sure of accuracy as I'm still researching.

I would love feedback and info on any warm, frum cheaper communities than NY!

I love out of town living, so feel like I won't miss NY!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating