Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Shadchan gift - Toronto

amother

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 9:07 pm
Okay, unusual question here:

Can anyone tell me what was the going rate for a shadchan gift in toronto about 16 years ago?
(If this is too specific, then perhaps anyone has info on the going rate for a shadchan gift 16 years ago in NY or some other large Jewish metro area? Or if nothing else, the going rate currently...)

Thanks!

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 22 2015, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
Okay, unusual question here:

Can anyone tell me what was the going rate for a shadchan gift in toronto about 16 years ago?
(If this is too specific, then perhaps anyone has info on the going rate for a shadchan gift 16 years ago in NY or some other large Jewish metro area? Or if nothing else, the going rate currently...)

Thanks!

I think that in some circles it is $1500 to $1800 per side. It may be more than that in some groups but I don't think that it is less than that any more.

shanarishona

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:07 pm
thanks!

oliveoil

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:24 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I think that in some circles it is $1500 to $1800 per side. It may be more than that in some groups but I don't think that it is less than that any more.

I doubt it was that high 16 years ago.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 10:32 am
oliveoil wrote:
I doubt it was that high 16 years ago.

The first wedding that I made was 12 years ago and the shadchanit wanted $600 per side. A year later the same shadchan made a shidduch for another of my children. By the third time that I made a wedding, 2 years after the first and a year after the second, it was a different shadchan who wanted $1000.

Now the price has gone up because it is not a simple matter anymore to set someone up. It takes considerably more effort and few people want to be involved unless they are adequately compensated for the aggravation.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 11:20 am
Until recently, I was a free shadchan. There are still many. Even some in America.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 11:39 am
There is a halacha regarding paying the shadchan the going rate. If this can't be done, the shadchan or the person should ask a rav. The person is supposed to pay the going rate, even if the shadchan is a friend or relative.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics