Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Need advice for extending dress

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 12:10 pm
I bought a dress that is 6" too short. It has pastel colors and white, so I probably need a white extention. The fabric is cotton and the skirt has a couple of pleats. It is rather elegant. Do you have any advice how to make it longer?
I have tried to put another skirt under, like I do with some of the short dress I have, but it looks horrible. Maybe because of the color (black) or maybe because the dress is lined and it makes it too bulky, but it just doesn't look right.
I have heard of skirt extenders but the ones I find online are too short for me. I need 29" minimum because I am tall.
I also have heard of seamstresses who make dresses longer by adding a band or something, but I don't know who or how much it costs. Any ideas/ references in Brooklyn?
TIA

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 12:15 pm
If you post a picture or link it would be easier for me to help

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 12:23 pm
OP here. This is the closest I could find to my dress. It is exactly this style with softer colors.
http://www.modcloth.com/shop/d.....dress

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 12:59 pm
My advice (which is worth exactly what you're paying for it LOL) is to decide on the shell you're wearing underneath, and then sew a band (of that same plain color) in the same type of fabric as the dress, also softly pleated, at the bottom - that way it should all pull together!

penguin

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 1:02 pm
another idea, though not cheap, is to have a seamstress add a yoke between the top and the skirt. (I think I would also do same color as shell.). This might look less "added on".

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 1:09 pm
OP here. I decided to go for a white shell. Besides being easy to find, the dress has white so it avoids the problem of finding a matching color. It also looks very nice with white.
Amother and Penguin, if I combine your ideas, I could have a band added at a bottom and add a white belt.
Any advices as regards seamstresses and prices?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 2:33 pm
katz's trimming in boro park sells dress extenders. they can probably help you with colors, fabrics, and ideas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics