Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Colicky babies are easily consolable??

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:42 pm
I read an article over the weekend in one of the local papers (five towns jewish home) by dr david simai. His veiws on Colic seemed quite differnt to me than what I have experienced. The line that really threw me was that colicky babies are "usually easily consoled when rocked gently" uh, has he ever seen a cokicky baby? Trust me rocking gently does not do a thing... any thoughts? This seemed strange to me that a pediatrician wud say this. Ill try to link the article if I can..not sure how to.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:46 pm
https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....0ztww

this was the only way. I cud figure how to link it, I found it on his website

justforfun87

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 12:22 am
Babies that cry and easily consolable are babies....not colicky.

chani8

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 1:19 am
I read the article and his main advice was not as flippant as you suggest, OP. I didn't think he was out of line at all. I agree with him not to over feed, and to give chamomile tea, and I would add, fresh lemon juice works great for reflux pain.

would agree with the cheap formula, but bring to your attention that the Steps (Step 1, Step 2) formulas are terrible, as they have extra lactose than the regular dairy formula. It's the lactose that causes discomfort in these young digestive systems, but they often do outgrow their intolerance by 3 or 4 months. If a baby isn't doing well with plain ole Materna, if they're spitting up too much and not from overfeeding, then I try low or no lactose formula, or soy. But that's as far as I'll go, because it's really just about time. The baby's gut needs time to mature. Which is why breast is best, because babies often tolerate mommy's milk better than formula, but that's not always an option. And as we know, sometimes what mother eats bothers baby, also.

What the doc is saying about 'easily consoled when rocking' is that if your baby stops crying from being held and rocked, then it really is as simple as that, hold and rock her. Or if you can't hold her so much and no on else can help hold her, then I guess, let her scream.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 2:32 am
From personal experience of two kids with colics - NOTHING consols a baby during colicky time - NOTHING! Sure, you can do a few tricks here and there to ease the pain, but the crying will not stop!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:09 am
amother wrote:
From personal experience of two kids with colics - NOTHING consols a baby during colicky time - NOTHING! Sure, you can do a few tricks here and there to ease the pain, but the crying will not stop!

I agree, thats why I found it strange that he seems to be equating colic as gassy, bec as far as I understood always, colic is kind of unexeplainable

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 1:11 pm
Nothing calmed my colicky babies when they screamed for hours. Nothing.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 2:58 pm
Another experienced colic mom here. I rocked and paced and walked the house every night from 7:15pm to 5:45am for 4 months straight! The only difference was the screaming was slightly less loud than if I dared to sit down. G-d help me if I tried to actually SET her down! I had to stand and pace the whole time. Even standing still and rocking was not an option.

Once she got a bit older, two teeth came in (they were bothering her) and I switched her to Enfamil Lactofree formula, did she start to settle and sleep at night. She stayed lactose intolerant until she was around 9 years old.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 6:42 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Nothing calmed my colicky babies when they screamed for hours. Nothing.

this is what I had. I think mothers know more than doctors in cases like this. saying that colic is because of this that or the other is not how people who experience REAL colic will feel

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 7:16 pm
If she is easily consoled, she is not colicky. By definition a colicky baby is one who screams and screams and will not stop no matter what you do. And "colic" itself is less a medical condition than a mysterious phenomenon that no one has yet been able to explain to anyone's satisfaction.
An ignorant comment is an ignorant comment even if the person who made it has letters like MD or PhD after his or her name.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics