Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
HIPAA violation - WWYD?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 5:16 pm
For various reasons (court ordered), DH needed to contact his kids pharmacy to send him a detailed record of his kids treatments and bills. Its from a heimish pharmacy. He got a detailed list of the kids stuff, plus of his ex wife and of her son with her other ex husband (Follow so far?). We were shocked - he doesnt really need to know that his ex has a monthly prescription costing $10, or that her other son has been to the dr 10 times a week and had tons of meds. But whats worse, and what his REAL issue is, what if her other ex (the father of the other child) gets a similar court order - the pharmacy will just send the other guy all of my step kids pharmacy info. Meaning, her x who hated her kids (my step kids) can potentially be priivy to knowing what meds they are taking. Like addaral and welbutrin.

Also, dispite many phone calls to one of my step kids schools (dh obv called), her ex is CCd on emails to her and dh regarding their sons behavior issues in class. I dont get emails about my step kids - why should I? So why are they sending to her ex, who is in no way connected to these kids anymore? The school hasnt updates anything despite many calls.

WWyd? Anon in case the mother is on here.

Leahh

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 5:22 pm
If you don't want to report the pharmacy maybe put in a request that before sending any information regarding the kids to anyone they need to notify you first. Court order or not. You can't stop them from responding to a court order but you can monitor what's going on and who's seeing what info.
As for the school, that is a MAJOR breach of privacy and needs to be taken to the next level. Does the principal know? The administrator? Withhold tuition until it is resolved (the only real leverage you have).

sourstix

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 6:26 pm
is there any way you can explain the family dynamics better? I really dont understand it. but I dont understand how a pharmacy can give out information that wasnt asked. is that what you mean? cause that happended to me in the past. oh, quite a few yrs ago. they did nt ask who I was and what I needed. I just gave them a name. and thats how my ex was able to get info about me.

ROFL

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:59 pm
Hippa violation. You can threaten to report them next time it happens. They will be more careful. The school, dh has to meet with them and tell what the issues are and what the expectations of who has the ability to get into on his kids.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:16 pm
considering the dynamics anybody could make the same mistake ... your husband should go into the pharmacy and politely explain the details and ask for just the information requested to be on the papers and if the pharmacy could be careful with his & your kids' privacy should anybody else make a similar request

nywife

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:34 pm
It's likely that this info was released carelessly and not because they intended harm. Call the pharmacy and tell them they are not to release any information about your children to anyone other than yourself. See if there's some sort of release form that would need to be signed in order for them to give out any personal info.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:37 pm
Have you told the other adults that their HIPPA rights were violated? They really deserve to know.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 7:58 am
If nothing bad happened from the violation, you may well have no one hear you. BTDT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics