Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hacking cough - for 4 months
Previous  1  2

Sanguine

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 7:04 am
Of course she's vaccinated (afraid to say that on this forum Rolling Eyes ). I'll call and ask the Dr tonight. Maybe I'll tape her coughing but I think it will just give the dr a laugh Rolling Laughter

myself

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 7:20 am
Honestly, it may be pertussis (or whooping cough as we call it here) but to the best of my knowledge there's nothing you can do about that anyway. My son had it 8 years ago and you could definitely hear that 'whoop', one cough led into the other in a seemingly endless bout of coughing... and yes, he did vomit from all that coughing. Doctor just said to let it run it's course.

Your daughter's cough sounds more like an allergy to me so I'd try some allergy tablets first, otherwise just look for ways to relieve the cough until it abates. Try things like cough sweets, sleeping with two pillow, tea with lemon, honey, a humidifier etc.

Good luck!

etky

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 7:30 am
chani8 wrote:
My first thought about the pertussis was, but isn't your DD vaccinated. Then I did a google search and sure nuff, there may be a pertussis problem in Israel. Interesting how the vaccines aren't working. OP, I hope that's not the case with your DD, but I think you should check it out in case she needs antibiotics.

No maybe. There IS a Pertussis problem in Israel- has been for a number of years already. A woman I work out with had it last winter. She finally came back to the gym after a couple of months, quite a few kilos thinner (she is skinny to begin with). There are new strains going around that people have not been vaccinated against.
Unfortunately two babies were in intensive care last week with Pertussis. One of them died sadly. I think the other one is still holding on. Infants have an especially hard time with Pertussis.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:36 am
Vaccinated individuals usually have milder of cases of pertussis if infected. They may also be healthy carriers. The current vaccine used in the USA which is the acellular vaccine (not sure if that's the case in Israel as well) is tolerated better by those who receive it, but is not as effective in terms of protecting against carrying the virus. Pertussis does have multiple strains, but if that is the reason that there are outbreaks in vaccinated individuals is inconclusive because ultimately those vaccinated rarely experience true whooping cough episodes.

etky

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 9:45 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
Vaccinated individuals usually have milder of cases of pertussis if infected. They may also be healthy carriers. The current vaccine used in the USA which is the acellular vaccine (not sure if that's the case in Israel as well) is tolerated better by those who receive it, but is not as effective in terms of protecting against carrying the virus. Pertussis does have multiple strains, but if that is the reason that there are outbreaks in vaccinated individuals is inconclusive because ultimately those vaccinated rarely experience true whooping cough episodes.

The acelluar vaccine was introduced about 15 years ago in Israel. I remember being relieved that my younger kids would be getting the acellular vaccine b/c it has fewer side effects. I didn't know it was less effective...

dhm

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 10:00 am
A different angle-ear infection?
A few years ago my daughter-much younger but old enough to have outgrown ear infections, also had a cough for a couple of months. I kept taking her to the dr and they found nothing. She coughed during the day but got much worse at night and sometimes kept her up. Finally after a few months of this going on I was again back at the dr and she told me that I'm not leaving til she finds a reason for the coughing. She did a full head to toe exam very thoroughly and when she got to her ear she checked for a long time while moving her ear while checking. She found a bad inner ear infection which was blocked by the eardrum. It was draing down and causing the cough. Once on antibiotics the cough disappeared!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics