Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Last Days of Pesach

Motek

Post Tue, Apr 18 2006, 12:29 pm
The 1st days of Pesach commemorate freedom from Mitzrayim but the last day(s) of Pesach is about Moshiach. The Haftorah is Yeshaya ch. 11 which talks about Moshiach coming and the Era of Moshiach.

Quote:
The Baal Shem Tov used to eat three festival meals on Acharon Shel Pesach.

The Baal Shem Tov called the (third) meal of this day Moshiach's seuda (the "festival meal of Moshiach"). Acharon Shel Pesach is the day for Mashiach's seuda because on this day the radiance of the light of Moshiach shines openly.

In 5666 (1906) a new procedure was adopted for Pesach in the Yeshiva Tomchei T'mimim in Lubavitch: The students ate the Pesach meals all together, in the study hall. There were 310 students present seated at eighteen tables. My father the Rebbe [referring to the Rebbe Rashab, R' Sholom Dovber, 5th Lubavitcher Rebbe] ate the festive meal of Acharon Shel Pesach with the yeshiva students. He ordered that four cups of wine be given each student, and then declared, "this is Moshiach's seuda."

Hayom Yom, Nissan 22

At this Seuda we talk about Moshiach and express our urgent need - and demand - that Hashem send Melech HaMoshiach and the complete Redemption NOW!

Motek

Post Tue, Apr 18 2006, 12:30 pm
Quote:
It was the custom in Lubavitch to stay awake on the night of the Seventh of Pesach as well as on Shavuos and on Hoshana Raba. By the age of nine I [referring to the 6th Lubavitch Rebbe, R' Yosef Yitzchok] did not go to sleep on the Seventh of Pesach. One should study Torah the whole night.

Hayom Yom, Nissan 21

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 11:25 am
I was quite surprised to read (Visions of Greatness 8, p. 80-81) that R' Chatzkel Levenstein, Mirrer mashgiach, would pour a glass of water on the floor on the night of the 7th day of Pesach, and jump over it to commemorate the crossing of the Reed Sea.

I thought that (some) Chasidic Rebbes did that!

Anybody's husband attend something like this?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 12:03 pm
I will have to ask! INteresting!

shalhevet

Post Tue, Apr 10 2007, 3:09 am
Motek wrote:
The 1st days of Pesach commemorate freedom from Mitzrayim but the last day(s) of Pesach is about Moshiach. The Haftorah is Yeshaya ch. 11 which talks about Moshiach coming and the Era of Moshiach.

Actually the 7th day of Pesach is also about yetzias mitzraim. We say 'zecher litzias mitzrayim' and the 7th day of Pesach is the day of Kriyas Yam Suf. Do you have the same machzor as I do?

Motek

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 3:01 pm
Obviously, as the last days of Pesach, they are part of the holiday that commemorates our going out of Egypt. However, in addition to this commemoration, as we see in the Torah readings and Haftorahs for both days, and the Torah readings and Haftorahs are connected to the theme of the day, there is the theme of L'Asid Lavo.

In the Torah reading for Shevii, the As Yashir refers both to the Splitting of the Sea as well as alluding to the future Geula. At the end of Az Yashir it says, "You will bring them in and plant them in the mountain of Your inheritance ... when Hashem yimloch l'olam va'ed" referring, Rashi says, L'asid Lavo.

The haftora of Shevii, Dovid's Shira is connected with the revelation of Moshiach ben Dovid. The haftorah for Acharon shel Pesach is all about Moshiach and Geula.

bashinda

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 3:36 pm
also motek probably doesn't have the same machzor as you. Lubavitchers don't use seperate machzorim for Pesach only for yamim noraim. Smile

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 4:40 pm
I could just see it now ... jumping over some water ... splash right in it and on the floor ...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:35 pm
BasHinda, I was in Kehos and they had a Pesach siddur !!!!!!

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 2:16 pm
By Rabbi Yaakov Shmuelevitz
Shliach in Beit Shaan

In preparing for the Seudas Moshiach this year, in light of the Rebbe’s injunction to “do all that you can to bring Moshiach,” we didn’t suffice with distributing brochures in all the shuls. We personally invited all our mekuravim and acquaintances to the event at our Chabad house. In addition, we sent a text message directly to the cell phones of dozens of friends who subscribe to messages from the Chabad house.

I debated whether to send the message to a friend who is associated with the Litvishe stream in Beit Shaan. He had told me that he would absolutely not appear at Chabad events even though Chabad was saving the Jewish people. On the other hand, he refers people who need encouragement to put on tefillin, to us. Nor does he conceal his amazement when he hears of more and more mekuravim who have begun to put on tefillin regularly or have decided to keep Shabbos thanks to the influence of the Rebbe’s shluchim in Beit Shaan. However, participating in a public event of Chabad is out of the question.

In the end, I sent him a message too. It couldn’t hurt. Another few buttons to press and he received it too.

A few hours went by and it was Shevii shel Pesach. The bachurim and tmimim in Beit Shaan went out to visit shuls and to invite people to the Moshiach Seuda. They didn’t realize that they were also visiting the beis medrash of the chareidi, Litvishe crowd in Beit Shaan.

Upon entering the shul they asked one of the people whether they could talk about the Moshiach Seuda. They were told they could come in but everybody knew about the Seuda already since their rabbi had spoken about it earlier. He had told them that he had received a text message about making a Moshiach Seuda and they planned on doing so the next evening in their shul!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics