Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Computer Recommendation- $300.00 Price Range

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 4:28 am
A family member of mine (w/o regular internet usage) is trying to buy a new laptop. I told them I wanted to help. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

This is what they want. I am sure it will NOT be possible to get all these criteria, but if possible, great.
-Not too small of a screen, at least 14 inches
-A DVD drive
-4 USB ports
-Windows 7
-in the $300.00 price range
-it doesn't need to be super fast. It's for word processing and checking email

If anyone is using something they like or has good ideas, TIA!

skirtznsox

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 11:48 am
Depending on where you (or they) are, check out microcenter.com, they usually have pretty good prices for things and knowledgeable staff that can help pick something out good. They also often have refurbished laptops for super steep discounts

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 12:49 pm
toshiba makes a good laptop ... 2 of my daughters have them in similar versions
C50-B Series Satellite
http://www.microcenter.com/pro.....Black

micro centre has them for between $249 & $349 depending on a sale or not

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 1:42 pm
greenfire wrote:
toshiba makes a good laptop ... 2 of my daughters have them in similar versions
C50-B Series Satellite
http://www.microcenter.com/pro.....Black

micro centre has them for between $249 & $349 depending on a sale or not

Ha ha! I was just looking at that exact one Smile thanks to skirtznsoks's link. Do they like it? Also, it looks like it's for in-store pick-up only. (Don't think there is a store near this family member.) Otherwise, it looks perfect! I think I'm going to search for it on amazon.

daisy

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 1:52 pm
The above computer is not Windows 7. We were recently at Microcenter looking at Windows 7 computers. They only had a couple, and they were considerably more expensive than Windows 8. We ultimately decided against Windows 7, though we miss some aspects.

That said, they often sell used computers with Windows 7. We tried it one and it didn't work for us. Thankfully they took it back for store credit (no box or receipt).

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 2:06 pm
daisy wrote:
The above computer is not Windows 7. We were recently at Microcenter looking at Windows 7 computers. They only had a couple, and they were considerably more expensive than Windows 8. We ultimately decided against Windows 7, though we miss some aspects.

That said, they often sell used computers with Windows 7. We tried it one and it didn't work for us. Thankfully they took it back for store credit (no box or receipt).

You can downgrade your computer to Windows 7. My computer technician did that to my computer. I bought Windows 8.1 and he downgraded it.

I did see what you are mentioning. The cheap computers are all Windows 8. I guess I'll ask him if it's cheaper to pay someone to downgrade it as I think Windows 8.1 will drive him crazy.

Thanks Smile

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 2:09 pm
luppamom wrote:
Ha ha! I was just looking at that exact one Smile thanks to skirtznsoks's link. Do they like it? Also, it looks like it's for in-store pick-up only. (Don't think there is a store near this family member.) Otherwise, it looks perfect! I think I'm going to search for it on amazon.

yup ~ amazon might be way more expensive

also you can change the windows 8 ... one kid did this other one kept

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 2:10 pm
greenfire wrote:
yup ~ amazon might be way more expensive

also you can change the windows 8 ... one kid did this other one kept

Did she do it herself or did she hire someone?

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 3:29 pm
luppamom wrote:
Did she do it herself or did she hire someone?

sonny boy did it for her ...

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 5:26 pm
greenfire wrote:
sonny boy did it for her ...

Is he a techie? The person I'm looking for is around 50, has a pretty good understanding of computers, but is no teenager. If it's easy, maybe they can figure it out themselves. If not, they might have to pay someone and then it's worth it to figure out if that justifies spending more money and buying a computer w/ Windows 7. (I never thought the day would come when older technology would be more expensive than the newer thing...)

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 5:29 pm
luppamom wrote:
Is he a techie? The person I'm looking for is around 50, has a pretty good understanding of computers, but is no teenager. If it's easy, maybe they can figure it out themselves. If not, they might have to pay someone and then it's worth it to figure out if that justifies spending more money and buying a computer w/ Windows 7. (I never thought the day would come when older technology would be more expensive than the newer thing...)

You (or your friend) should be able to Google for exact instructions or Youtube videos. Most likely though, you'll need a Windows 7 license, but not for sure, you may be able to download it and install it with the Win 8 license key. Search around, the info's out there.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 5:36 pm
luppamom wrote:
Is he a techie?

does it make me not a techie if I have to ask what it is ?

I do, however, know what a trekkie is

he's smart if that's what you mean ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics