Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Kettle Trouble

myself

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 3:48 am
We just purchased a new kettle and whenever I try to plug it in the electricity blows.
Plunged into darkness. Wink

Anyone know why this might be happening?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 5:52 am
Most likely you've overloaded the circuit. How much power does it pull (check the box)?

Try plugging it into a different outlet not near the first one. Make sure nothing else is plugged into that outlet.

myself

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 5:54 am
Will try. Thanks Rubber Ducky!

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 11:03 am
either something has a short circuit - or you have an overload

does the fuse blow when you put anything else into the socket ?

myself

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 11:28 am
Same issue at another socket. Socket is fine, it's the kettle that's the problem.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 11:37 am
is the kettle broken ... or can you test it in a 'dedicated' outlet ... meaning one that has no other appliances connected to the same fuse ?

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 11:39 am
Nope, nope, nope. Might be the same line.

Plug it into a socket on a different line.

Electric kettles are quite powerful and have to be plugged in on a different line than microwave, vacuum cleaner, electric heater, and so on.

Play around. You may have to rearrange some appliances. The last time a fuse blew, I took careful note of which sockets didn't work, so now I know which sockets are on which line.

myself

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 11:45 am
I only have two different sockets in my kitchen and I tried both whilst I disconnected any other appliances... any other options or do I just try to return the kettle?

My previous kettle is of the same voltage and has never been a problem. Confused

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 11:46 am
Plug it in the bedroom, see what happens.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 11:48 am
myself wrote:
I only have two different sockets in my kitchen and I tried both whilst I disconnected any other appliances... any other options or do I just try to return the kettle?

My previous kettle is of the same voltage and has never been a problem. Confused

you just answered your own question ...

return the kettle - it can have a short

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 3:09 pm
Return the appliance immediately and tell the dealer why so that they do not try to sell it to anyone else. My guess would be that the polarity of the wiring is reversed, so that the "hot" , or energized, wire is connected to the neutral prong and the neutral wire is connected to the "hot" prong. Reversed polarity more commonly occurs at the receptacle and is also a serious electric shock hazard, but inasmuch as you are blowing circuits no matter where you plug in the pot, the problem is not the outlet. Reversed polarity is a very common but very dangerous condition, easily corrected by reversing the wires, but do not try this yourself!

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 3:27 pm
zaq wrote:
... Reversed polarity is a very common but very dangerous condition, easily corrected by reversing the wires, but do not try this yourself!

can I try it Idea

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 3:49 pm
greenfire wrote:
can I try it Idea

It might void the warrantee on the kettle, and then OP may not be able to get her money back.

If your outlets have reversed polarity, make sure you shut off the power AT THE SOURCE before messing around. Just flipping the circuit breaker may not do it, since you have no way of knowing if the breaker is wired correctly and is working properly. Unless YOU have personally shut off the power and locked it out, always assume the power is on. But you knew that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics