Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Advice ASAP - DS refusing to go on school tiyul
Previous  1  2

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
Just to update you. With imamother by my side, I convinced DH to back off and let DS decide for himself about the tiyul.

At 1130 at night, DS got off the phone with his teacher and said he wanted to go after all. LOL

Good for him! And good for the teacher who took the time to talk to him!

Hope he has a great time.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:
Just to update you. With imamother by my side, I convinced DH to back off and let DS decide for himself about the tiyul.

At 1130 at night, DS got off the phone with his teacher and said he wanted to go after all. LOL

I was actually going to say that the teacher is often crucial in this equation. My tiyul hating DD went to half of her 12th grade tiyul (she joined the class in the middle after the difficult hiking part was over) simply b/c the teacher, who she looked up to, told her that she really wanted her to come. Sure she agonized for a couple of days but then made up her own mind that she would do it. She was very proud of herself and we were thrilled with her decision. Half a tiyul is better than none....
With DS too, the teachers would often weigh in and show empathy and this would soften resistance.
It's good to involve the teacher if you think it will help. Sometimes it's what makes the difference.
I'm glad for you OP that your DS made up his mind to go and that it was HIS decision.

etky

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:16 am
LOL, just had to relate that ironically, both my tiyul-hating teens are on tiyulim at the moment, one on the northern border and another all the way down south: DS 17 is on his tiyul shnati up north. At the moment he is, unbelievably, ice skating in Metulla with his class. That's something he has always refused to do with the family on the few opportunities that we've had to skate.
DD 19 is down in Eilat with her mechina. I have a feeling that DD might have managed to negotiate her way out of the hiking segment of today's itinerary but be that as it may, it's still way better than being home on the computer or in bed....
OP, I hope your DS had a great tiyul!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 5:52 am
OP here.

Etky, that's great! Isn't it nice to have a break from them, also?! DS is back and other than being "a little cold at night", he had no complaints. B"H. Hope your kids have a good time, too.

etky

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 6:18 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

Etky, that's great! Isn't it nice to have a break from them, also?! DS is back and other than being "a little cold at night", he had no complaints. B"H. Hope your kids have a good time, too.

Thanks, I do too but me being me Rolling Eyes I really just want them home safely.
It's really good that your DS went - each tiyul boosts their self-confidence and makes the next time that much easier.
DD just sent me a really gorgeous picture from the mountains near Eilat.
She's still evading the question of whether she's actually on the maslul or stayed behind to help organize the campsite ....

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 11:01 am
etky wrote:
Thanks, I do too but me being me Rolling Eyes I really just want them home safely.
It's really good that your DS went - each tiyul boosts their self-confidence and makes the next time that much easier.
DD just sent me a really gorgeous picture from the mountains near Eilat.
She's still evading the question of whether she's actually on the maslul or stayed behind to help organize the campsite ....

My son's tiyul was in Eilat as well. The hike was easy.

I heard on a TEDtalk that "Adventure increases intelligence." That's what I tell my kids to try to get them out the door. lol

I know about the worry. Just try to enjoy the peace and quiet though, too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children