Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Who does the grocery shopping in your house?
Previous  1  2  3

Who buys groceries?
Me 90%-100% of the time  
 42%  [ 99 ]
Me 75% / Husband 25%  
 14%  [ 33 ]
Me 50% / Husband 50%  
 9%  [ 23 ]
Husband 75% / Me 25%  
 8%  [ 20 ]
Husband 90%-100% of the time  
 19%  [ 46 ]
Other  
 5%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 235

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 7:01 am
Ruchel wrote:
This is nice. Most shops close earlier than many husbands come home, I do take the baby with me, and they don't deliver or do online. I won't take a taxi for a few 100s meters and actually I cannot afford regular taxi. Taxi is easily 50 euros +. We're bh a young family.

I guess you really don't have many alternatives. Is that what everyone does?
And taxis are so expensive for a few 100 metres...
Interesting that the shops there don't deliver or do online. Here in Israel, online shopping is huge. I personally shop myself, but the store is filled with employees filling the orders for online shoppers.

pause

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 7:04 am
I do. With whichever kids are home then.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 7:05 am
A taxi that will bring you 50 meters away, wait there while you shop, bring you again 50 meters, wait, ... and do I leave the baby in there? take the baby in and out every time? It seems like something I would never do. And it doesn't help in places where there are several shops just near each other, or no driving streets.

luppamom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 7:33 am
We don't have a car at all. I go shopping w/ my stroller. I load the basket. If DH is home, I'll s/t leave DD w/ him so I can use the entire stroller. I s/t have to make more than one trip. I could pay to get it delivered, but it's expensive and then I have to make a huge order and plan and plan and plan which I hate.

In one place I lived, people used to take shopping carts home w/ them and leave them outside their apartments. Guess who used to bring all those shopping carts back to the store? Not the person who borrowed stole it, but my own DH! It wasted so much of his time and I get so upset when I see anyone doing this. B"H we moved to a place where I rarely see this happening.

Tsfas mommy

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 8:00 am
I do most of the shopping because
1.I know what we need, how much, what brands to buy
2. I like the shopping!
3. When DH goes, bless his soul, he comes home with so many extras! I shop much more conservatively

Miri7

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 8:34 am
I do a lot of the shopping at night after the kids to down. DH goes to the kosher market/butcher because it's close to his work and he can stop on the way home.

When DH goes to the market he buys way too much stuff.

boysrus

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
It's great that you aren't chassidish.
I leave my car parked in my driveway and email my grocery order every week. its (sic) good I am chassidish, isnt (sic) it?

well not all of us have such an option you know... I never heard of emailing grocery orders until this thread, in fact no kosherr grocery in my city does delivery at all unfortuatelty. I wish they did...
and why are you amother?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 11:30 am
boysrus wrote:
well not all of us have such an option you know... I never heard of emailing grocery orders until this thread, in fact no kosherr grocery in my city does delivery at all unfortuatelty. I wish they did...
and why are you amother?

I'm sorry you don't have that option. And until I emailed my orders it was most difficult shopping with a toddler and getting bags to car etc. The only point I was trying to make was that your chasidish comment offended me. And I'm amother because when I created my screen name I selected one that might give me away IRL but if I had a screen name that said the sky is blue I would certainly have used it.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
I'm sorry you don't have that option. And until I emailed my orders it was most difficult shopping with a toddler and getting bags to car etc. The only point I was trying to make was that your chasidish comment offended me. And I'm amother because when I created my screen name I selected one that might give me away IRL (I should change that) but if I had a screen name that said the sky is blue I would certainly use it.

And I've just submitted a request to delete my account so you never have to worry about me posting again as amother or anything else.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 10:42 pm
We split it. Depends on who has the better schedule at work that week and or who is going to be near the shops. More often than not I do regular store and he does kosher market (especially for shabbos) but we both do it. I used to do it almost 100% but he will do it if either I give him a list or he knows (regular pre shabbos stuff).
Where I live, shopping carts are taken home and the store sends their workers down the block to collect them (within a few blocks actually it is ok to take it). I asked the owner/manager and it was ok. They not only allow it, they expect it. I guess people were doing it already so they had to make it ok (hire people to collect them).

luppamom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 12:28 am
amother wrote:
We split it. Depends on who has the better schedule at work that week and or who is going to be near the shops. More often than not I do regular store and he does kosher market (especially for shabbos) but we both do it. I used to do it almost 100% but he will do it if either I give him a list or he knows (regular pre shabbos stuff).
Where I live, shopping carts are taken home and the store sends their workers down the block to collect them (within a few blocks actually it is ok to take it). I asked the owner/manager and it was ok. They not only allow it, they expect it. I guess people were doing it already so they had to make it ok (hire people to collect them).

That's a good dan licaf zecchus, although, in my old place, one store had a sign that it was gezel. I guess it depends on the arrangement.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 7:03 am
There's a Mediterranean minhag (Tunis, Rome, Salonika...) that the husband goes to the market, btw.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 4:22 pm
My husband is a tzaddik and doesn't let me do shopping. He has a bike, and he knows I hate shopping, and except for when I make random little trips to the makolet to pick up milk and such, he does all the shopping. :-)

boysrus

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
I'm sorry you don't have that option. And until I emailed my orders it was most difficult shopping with a toddler and getting bags to car etc. The only point I was trying to make was that your chasidish comment offended me. And I'm amother because when I created my screen name I selected one that might give me away IRL but if I had a screen name that said the sky is blue I would certainly have used it.

I dont knw if you are still reading this thread amother, but I just want to apologize. I never intended to upset you or anyone else. my original comment that offended you inadvertently (which I cant figure out how to quote and double quote) was aimed at kollelwife3 and those who had been reading the 'I m going to explode' thread would have realized that it was a continutaion of the discussion on there, where kollelwife3 had been insisting repeatedly that it was much more tznius not to drive a car because wehn you drive a car you show road rage (?) and that isnt tznius. My comment was a comment aimed at her, because I finaly understood why it maybe wasnt such a big deal to her to not drive, her dh does all the shoppping! I m really sorry that you took offence, it was meant more as a joke, not to offend, I have absolutey nothing against anyone chassidish, and I feel really sad that my post was taken that way. Maybe I need to think more carefully before I post in future, sorry. (and btw, how can I convince the stores in my city to take orders adn deliver groceries?)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics