Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I hate the Lkwd school system
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 7:41 pm
We applied our dd (oldest) to 4 schools and 3 of them already gave us a no and I believe the fourth will too. I'm not that worried yet since we didn't ask friends yet to push but I didn't think we would be one of those!!!!!!! Arghhhh if I get white hair I know it's from that Sad

Emotional

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 7:44 pm
No. Just no. Not this again...
I'm in a similar boat with my son, so I feel your pain.
I just know that here on imamother this topic will open up a huge can of worms!
Monseychik, here's your cue...:-)

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 7:44 pm
what type of school are you looking for? Does your family fit into lakewood in general? Do you have other children in school yet? Maybe someone can recommend a newish school that is more accommodating.

sky

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 7:51 pm
Its not a matter of schools being accommodating. There is no place. Even new schools fill up fast.

Its easy for me to say it where I am now. My daughter got into school this past summer some time in July. b'h (for that coming year). We didn't get into a single school we applied to. We didn't even think of the school we did get into origianlly, it was not on or radar. B'H the school we are in is 1000% times better then any of our original options.

Hang in there, it is really tough and there are no quick solutions as it can drag out. I'm sorry I don't have better advice.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 7:59 pm
I know iyh we will get her into a school but the headache...
There are only so many Chassidish schools I can apply to and there aren't many!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 8:09 pm
Op think long and hard of somewhere or someone rich and wealthy who owes you a favor who can call the school for you. That's the fastest way to get in.

Also rechnitz in la who is very wealthy had a mother call him last year with a son. It being in school and he said that he felt bad for the mother didn't know the mother called the first school and they took the so. In right away. So maybe call him he had a heart and he said that he is going to try to change the lakewood school system and because of him registration was pushed off two months to give parents two months less of aggravation.

This is not a personal story it was posted on line on all the lakewood news sites so I don't feel bad repeating it. And it was quoted with rechnitz permission.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 27 2015, 5:05 am
op said now that they are chasssidish. Lakewood is primarily a yeshivish community hence the difficulty in finding a chassidish girls school. The new schools that are opening up are accepting good girls from good homes but I guess you are not even applying there.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Feb 27 2015, 5:46 am
Why did you think you would be different? Lakewood has a problem with schools pretty much across the board.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 27 2015, 7:07 am
Wow, I didn't know it has reached the Chassidish schools, too. I thought those were easier to get into.

And which 4 chassidish schools are there?

Bais Rochel
Bnos Bina
Viznitz

The new Belz? I think I saw an advertisement for that.

Is Tiferes Chaya considered Chassidish?

monseychick

Post Fri, Feb 27 2015, 9:02 am
Emotional wrote:
No. Just no. Not this again...
I'm in a similar boat with my son, so I feel your pain.
I just know that here on imamother this topic will open up a huge can of worms!
Monseychik, here's your cue...:-)

I have spoken about this I'm blue in the face..

OP either pick sanity or pick stupidity...

Sanity...if there is a new school, make sure the founders and teachers aren't total incompetents, then JUMP!!!!!

Stupidity..Find the designer name, pet-rock school...speak to every big Gvir you know. And pray that you find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow..

What matters is the curriculum, and will they treat you menslik..... NOTHING ELSE.....

Emotional

Post Sat, Feb 28 2015, 4:36 pm
monseychick wrote:
I have spoken about this I'm blue in the face..

OP either pick sanity or pick stupidity...

Sanity...if there is a new school, make sure the founders and teachers aren't total incompetents, then JUMP!!!!!

Stupidity..Find the designer name, pet-rock school...speak to every big Gvir you know. And pray that you find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow..

What matters is the curriculum, and will they treat you mentchlich... NOTHING ELSE.....

And that they love and accept your child for who she is... it's not a good feeling if they rub in your face that they accepted your kid as a Chesed. Which is more likely to happen with the "designer name" schools.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 11:41 am
Chayalle wrote:
Wow, I didn't know it has reached the Chassidish schools, too. I thought those were easier to get into.

And which 4 chassidish schools are there?

Bais Rochel
Bnos Bina
Viznitz

The new Belz? I think I saw an advertisement for that.

Is Tiferes Chaya considered Chassidish?

Yes, it certainly is.

And, I'm pretty sure Keser BY (is that the name? -where Mrs. Leiser is the principal) is also.

black sheep

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 12:46 pm
I wonder what would happen if all the mothers in lakewood would stop working so that they can stay home with their kids who didn't get into any school?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:03 pm
black sheep wrote:
I wonder what would happen if all the mothers in lakewood would stop working so that they can stay home with their kids who didn't get into any school?

We would have to get by without my salary, that's all. It will be very tough and we would probably go into credit card debt, but it wouldn't change a thing about the lack of space in the schools.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:07 pm
Can people move to Rochester NY? I think I saw a pamphlet saying there are good resources there. It was an ad encouraging frum people to move there. It sounded nice.

Perhaps Lkwd can only hold so many people. It isn't the size of France. They can't stand on each other's heads. There are other places. But I am no expert.

black sheep

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
We would have to get by without my salary, that's all. It will be very tough and we would probably go into credit card debt, but it wouldn't change a thing about the lack of space in the schools.

if the women stopped working, the men might have to stop learning, and then the rabbis might have to come up with a solution to the problem.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:33 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Can people move to Rochester NY? I think I saw a pamphlet saying there are good resources there. It was an ad encouraging frum people to move there. It sounded nice.

Perhaps Lkwd can only hold so many people. It isn't the size of France. They can't stand on each other's heads. There are other places. But I am no expert.

The tuition there is 5-10 times as much as the tuition for a chassidish girls school.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:40 pm
Oh.

Jew-steading involves finding a tired old community that still has one functional, if fatigued, mikvah, and perhaps a little-used old timey synagogue, and moving in there, with ten other likeminded families, all at once, and starting what you want. The rents are often low in such places. You can get kosher meat on Amazon.

Mikvah dot org website lists all sorts of out-of-the way mikvahs, some not far from jobs.

You would need to be a little adventurous and have enough friends. One would not burn any bridges; one would maintain connections to the previous place.

Google Earth will give you a street view of an address so you can look around and see what you think of it.

Wikipedia will give you a lot of information about any town.

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:50 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:

Sorry Dolly, but Lakewood and Rochester don't exactly appeal to the same crowd. Somebody complaining about Lakewood may be upset about how difficult it is to get her kids into schools, but she's not going to view Rochester as even a remotely acceptable alternative.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 4:05 pm
black sheep wrote:
if the women stopped working, the men might have to stop learning, and then the rabbis might have to come up with a solution to the problem.

My husband works full-time. Lack of space doesn't discriminate. There are plenty of families, both working and learning, who can't get their kids into a school.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children