Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Baking Cake for MM

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:25 pm
I have small round tin pans and tons of duncan heines ou brownie mix. We are going Teenage mutant ninja turtles so it will be 'pizza' made of cake for crust, fruit roll up for tomato sauce and popcorn for cheese. I'm wondering how in advance to make the cake if I want to take them out the night before and finish the prep and wrap? Can I do it sunday and freeze? or put in the fridge? I'm assuming most ppl will eat it day of. I will prep, wrap and refrigerate the night before, IYH. I work full time so I really want to make it happen on sunday. Please advise.

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:37 pm
Love your mm idea! If you're baking sunday I would wrap with saran wrap and freeze.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
I have small round tin pans and tons of duncan heines ou brownie mix. We are going Teenage mutant ninja turtles so it will be 'pizza' made of cake for crust, fruit roll up for tomato sauce and popcorn for cheese. I'm wondering how in advance to make the cake if I want to take them out the night before and finish the prep and wrap? Can I do it sunday and freeze? or put in the fridge? I'm assuming most ppl will eat it day of. I will prep, wrap and refrigerate the night before, IYH. I work full time so I really want to make it happen on sunday. Please advise.

Do you really think people will eat that? Would you?

agreer

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 9:49 pm
People, no.... Children, totally! I know many kids that would looooooove that!

Sammy375

Post Wed, Feb 25 2015, 1:25 am
Of course people will eat it! Peal off the fruit roll up and popcorn for kids... and yummy brownies underneath for mom! I also work full time and bake for MM every year in advance. Baked goods go in the freezer in zip lock bags or saran wrap. I think you can take out of the freezer the night before and assemble with the "crust" still frozen and it will defrost over night, save on the fridge space. What about gummy fish anchovies?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 7:49 pm
Thanks so much for responses! That's exactly what I need to know. I bought the saranwrap earlier today.
Another q: I have a fleishig oven that is capable of being self-cleaned to pareve. Should I self-clean and make the cakes pareve or can I just note on the cakes that they are fleishig equipment/chezkas basari? and if I really should self clean, what do I need to do for that?

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 8:35 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Do you really think people will eat that? Would you?

I wouldn't, sorry OP, unless it came from a close friend. Food that's been played with turns me off. Regular baked goods from a trustworthy and clean friend are okay, but a food art project... not so much. It sounds adorable, though!

If you do end up doing it, you'll have to put the popcorn on last minute. If you refrigerate popcorn or leave it out it will get soggy or stale.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 8:39 pm
OP here. I would for sure eat it. I'm not a huge popcorn fan, but brownies and fruit roll ups I would never turn down. It's not like my kids will be handling it or a/t like that. They wanted to match the mm to their costumes and this was the best I could come up with. But oliveoil and mommyla, I'll make sure not to send to you guys Wink

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 8:41 pm
Oh well Very Happy Like I said, it sounds adorable. Don't put open fruit rolls in the fridge either, they'll get rock hard.

Coke Slurpee

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 8:46 pm
You can just mark it fleishig equip.
Of course, it's good to clean your oven every once in a while; )

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 9:03 pm
Coke Slurpee wrote:
You can just mark it fleishig equip.
Of course, it's good to clean your oven every once in a while; )

One day I'll make Pesach and clean my oven. One day.

- If the cakes are well wrapped, can I leave them out after I take them out of the freezer Wednesday? Like on the counter, or they have to be refrigerated?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics