Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Does Bamba prevent peanut allergies?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:13 pm
http://tabletmag.com/scroll/18.....20785

according to this article, we have the wrong approach to peanut allergies

Barbara

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:28 pm
southernbubby wrote:
http://tabletmag.com/scroll/189256/do-peanuts-prevent-childhood-allergies?utm_source=tabletmagazinelist&utm_campaign=c9035b11f2-Thursday_February_26_20152_26_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c308bf8edb-c9035b11f2-207220785

according to this article, we have the wrong approach to peanut allergies

Read it. Found it very interesting. It would explain the rise in peanut allergies in particular, as US society becomes more and more cautious about early exposure to potential allergens ... and then become more allergic. When I was growing up, everyone was chowing down on PBJ by age 2, and no one was allergic.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:29 pm
The claim it's it does, most children in Israel have had bamba before their first birthday. Israel has a very low peanut allergy occurrence.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:34 pm
The one kid I've met in Israel who had a peanut allergy, AFAIK, never had a full anaphylactic reactionto peanuts. (He was exposed occasionally through contact as a toddler- to an Israeli gan, even one that's willing to deal with a food allergy, "dealing" means everyone else was handed a peanut butter sandwich and he was given something else while sitting at the same table. I'd definitely take a lower-severity peanut allergy over the usual American kind.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:42 pm
When I was growing up, PB and J sandwiches were what every kid had for lunch. These allergies were very rare. I have been on several flights where we were told not to snack on nuts or nut products while on the plane, due to an allergic passenger on board.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 2:55 pm
Wow. So this means that the rise of kids allergic to peanut butter was actually caused by good intentions. OMG.

imasinger

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 3:02 pm
It is a possibility.

But the article I read said that early exposure might not prevent someone from having a serious allergy. It was more helpful to those with mild allergic tendencies.

etky

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 4:10 pm
It's rare in Israel but certainly not unheard of and awareness of peanut and other allergies has grown tremendously in recent years.
I know several peanut allergic kids (all were born here but are from Olim families) DD 19 went to school with a girl who is deathly allergic to peanuts. When this girl started 1st grade the school became a Bamba-free school (and has stayed that way ever since b/c of more allergic kids thereafter) since Bamba is air-borne. However, only classmates of the allergic kids are asked not to bring peanut butter sandwiches, so it's not a peanut-free school.
It is difficult to have a peanut allergy in Israel b/c of the ubiquity of Bamba, which is not only air-borne, but also notoriously difficult to wash off you hands unless you give a really good scrub and is thus transferred to other surfaces.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 8:47 pm
If I had a family history of peanut allergies, I would only introduce peanuts with the doctor's hadracha. And probably in the doctor's office, in case there's a reaction.

loveandpeace

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 8:56 pm
It does seem like prevention is causing allergies. Even so I waited to give my kid a teeny weeny bit And my hub had his phone ready to dial hatzoloh in case

amother

Post Thu, Feb 26 2015, 9:49 pm
I'm sorry I just don't buy it. I ate so many different kinds of nuts when I was pregnant and nursing and lo and behold I have a child allergic to nuts! And not to peanuts. Just all the other kinds of nuts out there. Exposure was there and it did not prevent any allergies. I think up to a certain degree the article may be true. If someone takes a little bit of poison every single day, it builds the body up and it can handle it. But give someone a wallop of poison and then they are gone. But early exposure doesn't equal allergy gone.

Raisin

Post Fri, Feb 27 2015, 4:57 am
amother wrote:
I'm sorry I just don't buy it. I ate so many different kinds of nuts when I was pregnant and nursing and lo and behold I have a child allergic to nuts! And not to peanuts. Just all the other kinds of nuts out there. Exposure was there and it did not prevent any allergies. I think up to a certain degree the article may be true. If someone takes a little bit of poison every single day, it builds the body up and it can handle it. But give someone a wallop of poison and then they are gone. But early exposure doesn't equal allergy gone.

Did you read the article? Did it say it was 100% effective? I didn't see it say that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics