Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
"softest landing" school--7th grade girl

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 8:28 am
If you could chose any school that is not in Judea or Samarea as a soft landing for a girl who will be in 7th grade and does not speak Hebrew, what school would it be?!

I figure that any school that works for our oldest will be in a community that likely will work for us and our other kids Smile

Yeshivish-light family coming from OOT US community.

Thanks.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 8:42 am
I'll start you off though the hashkafa might not be exactly what you are looking for.
In Ramat Beit Shemesh - Ulpananat Ahavat Yisrael is Chardal (perhaps more in administration's intention than students practice, but still..).

The incoming 7th grade has awesome girls and many, many speak English (my daughter is one). There are many girls that have made aliya in the last several years and are still learning Hebrew themselves.
The girls are also very inclusive and used to welcoming new friends.

5*Mom

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 9:00 am
Probably Magen Avot in RBS. There's a lot of support for new olim. I wouldn't recommend Ahavat Yisrael as they give no cushion to new olim in the Ulpanah. It's sink or swim. If you would consider keeping her back one grade, Bnos Malka will have a sixth grade next year and may be worth looking into.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:39 pm
Thank you both. It does seem like RBS keeps popping up as a suggestion Smile

5*Mom: b''eh, we won't be keeping her back a grade. She has a fall birthday and is already one of the oldest in her class (and one of the tallest!).

So, mom who suggested Ahavat Yisrael: what is your opinion about the services the school offers? How old was your dd when you made aliyah?

Thank you! Please keep the suggestions coming!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 4:23 am
Moving to Nahariya through Go North. I found a wonderful dati/torani school for DD, where they are willing to hold her back a year until she can get caught up. They are very flexible, letting her stay in her regular classes when she's doing well, and moving her to lower grades for when she needs help.

They teach English there, and they buddy the kids up to practice. DD can help the English learning kids, and then they can help her with Hebrew. Same thing with math, spelling, reading, etc. They match up kids according to strength and weakness, and it helps build friendships more quickly when you're in a new place.

We're very excited about going there! If you're interested, it's the Evan Shoham school.

It's a little more to the Left than where we're holding, but by far the best fit for DD right now while she's in her adjustment period.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 4:56 am
amother wrote:
Thank you both. It does seem like RBS keeps popping up as a suggestion Smile

5*Mom: b''eh, we won't be keeping her back a grade. She has a fall birthday and is already one of the oldest in her class (and one of the tallest!).

So, mom who suggested Ahavat Yisrael: what is your opinion about the services the school offers? How old was your dd when you made aliyah?

Thank you! Please keep the suggestions coming!

I was surprised to read above that no ulpan help is available in the ulpana. Ironic. I can check it out for you.
My daughter "soft landed" into the elementary school in 4th grade and had excellent assistance.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 5:00 am
Do you know where you are moving? Neighborhoods with English-speaking olim generally have schools that cater to their needs.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:11 am
OP a fall birthday in EY will be the youngest in the class, not the oldest (cutoff is Kislev / now Dec 31).

As far as schools, I have friends who are in Beit Shulamit and are very happy there. If you get in touch with me I can see if I can get you guys in touch.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:19 am
Fall birthday for a kid coming in 7th grade means she will already be a year older than some students! Yes, if she started in Israel she'd be young, but since she's already in the middle they aren't going to bump her up a a grade.

So in the fall she will be turning 13 in seventh grade. All the kids who started in Israel will either be 12 or about to turn 12. She will be the oldest in class.

Do not keep her back a year, OP!

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:20 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Moving to Nahariya through Go North. I found a wonderful dati/torani school for DD, where they are willing to hold her back a year until she can get caught up. They are very flexible, letting her stay in her regular classes when she's doing well, and moving her to lower grades for when she needs help.

They teach English there, and they buddy the kids up to practice. DD can help the English learning kids, and then they can help her with Hebrew. Same thing with math, spelling, reading, etc. They match up kids according to strength and weakness, and it helps build friendships more quickly when you're in a new place.

We're very excited about going there! If you're interested, it's the Evan Shoham school.

It's a little more to the Left than where we're holding, but by far the best fit for DD right now while she's in her adjustment period.

FF, you're making aliyah? Awesome! Smile

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 5:35 pm
amother wrote:
Do you know where you are moving? Neighborhoods with English-speaking olim generally have schools that cater to their needs.

That's the thing: we are willing to consider moving almost any place for the right school Very flexible Wink.

FF: mazal tov! I will check out the school you recommended.

Peanut2: I agree with you. And I think it would be emotionally-devastating to keep her back a year. She is already the height of many adult women....She will turn 13 next fall, and I agree with you--she will be already one year older than many kids. b'eh, we won't make it two!!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 7:54 pm
amother wrote:
That's the thing: we are willing to consider moving almost any place for the right school Very flexible Wink.

FF: mazal tov! I will check out the school you recommended.

Peanut2: I agree with you. And I think it would be emotionally-devastating to keep her back a year. She is already the height of many adult women....She will turn 13 next fall, and I agree with you--she will be already one year older than many kids. b'eh, we won't make it two!!!!

Please ask DD how she will feel about it. Explain the pros and cons to her, socially vs. academically. Let her have a vote on whether to stay back a year or not. Many schools will keep a child back at the beginning of the year, and if she catches on fast she can be moved up.

I'm lucky in a sense, because my DD is small for her age, and emotionally younger than her classmates. Her BFF is a year and a half younger, and she tends to click better with slightly younger girls in general.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:35 pm
Each child is different, but OP's child is already tall for her age AND will be a year older due to cut-offs. This should not be an option IMO. Especially at this age when girls are developing physically. I'd keep it off the table and it sounds like OP doesn't like the idea anyway.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:19 pm
Peanut2 wrote:
Each child is different, but OP's child is already tall for her age AND will be a year older due to cut-offs. This should not be an option IMO. Especially at this age when girls are developing physically. I'd keep it off the table and it sounds like OP doesn't like the idea anyway.

True, but I like the idea of letting a child choose. She's old enough to know what will make her comfortable or not. Chances are, she'll agree with you, or the school will see things your way.

When you move there are so many things you're not in control of, it's nice if you feel like you have a say in something. I think it honors the child's feelings. Just IMHO.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 10:44 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Please ask DD how she will feel about it.

She is already cranky that she "should" be in 7th grade already Smile. Cranky that her cousin who is exactly one year older is in 8th grade (me: "some who have fall birthdays are the oldest in the class and some the youngest. This is what we decided was best for you.....yadda yadda")

For sure the concept of staying back a year would make her extremely reluctant (understatement) about coming to Israel.

I do appreciate your concern!

Thanks, everyone!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 10:49 pm
FF: Even Shoham ends in 6th. It also says it currently has no new olim and only 2% speak English. Make them update the NBN page when your family gets there! Hatzlacha.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 2:18 pm
OP here: any other ideas? THANKS!!!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 7:58 am
OP here: we interviewed her at Ulpana Ahavat Yisrael and all felt like it was a good fit for her (well, maybe we'd like it to be a little more "char" and a little less "dal", but overall, it felt like a good fit).

Ramat Beit Shemesh is now the plan for July aliyah, b''eH!

boysrus

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 8:07 am
amother wrote:
OP here: we interviewed her at Ulpana Ahavat Yisrael and all felt like it was a good fit for her (well, maybe we'd like it to be a little more "char" and a little less "dal", but overall, it felt like a good fit).

Ramat Beit Shemesh is now the plan for July aliyah, b''eH!

it should be with hatzlacha! if you are not already on it, you should sign up now for the shemeshlist emails.!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 9:55 am
OP here: yes, I am on the email list and am SO excited by all the amazing shiurim for women and opportunities for girls that are on there. b''eH, we're all going to be pretty happy there!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions