Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Have to wean baby (9 mth) but he refuses solids and bottles!

amother

Post Sat, Feb 28 2015, 8:51 pm
Switching to regular birth control pill after staining from mini pill. I am told it will significantly lessen my milk. I currently breastfeed and my 9 month old refuses bottles and solids. Will he starve when my milk dries up??? How can I teach him to eat, and how will I know if he is hungry/thirsty? I am so scared!

amother

Post Sat, Feb 28 2015, 9:39 pm
He will certainly let you know if he is hungry/thirsty!!

My kids had an easier time taking formula/solids from someone else (as opposed to me feeding them).

It can take a few days, and a few tries. for baby to get used to eating.

Hatzlacha

amother

Post Sat, Feb 28 2015, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
He will certainly let you know if he is hungry/thirsty!!

My kids had an easier time taking formula/solids from someone else (as opposed to me feeding them).

It can take a few days, and a few tries. for baby to get used to eating.

Hatzlacha

Thanks!

Will he go hungry for the first few days, until he learns? I feel terrible about it Sad

amother

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 1:13 am
Ask your doctor. Any pill besides the mini pill might not be ok for you to nurse with.
If you decide to give formula, try someone else giving it for several days. Eventually he/she will get use to bottles and take them from you!
If DC doesn't like a bottle from anyone, have you tried different bottles? My son hated one but loved another...

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 6:34 am
Try putting some sugar in the bottle in the beginning (gasp!)
It may seem crazy but it does work

amother

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 7:26 am
While you obviously have to prepare for the possibility, it's actually not a guarantee that your milk will go down, it is a risk of the regular pill. While I have never risked taking the regular pill with a baby under 6 months, I have switched closer to one and it didn't affect my supply at all. Try to get him to take more solids (which you should be doing regardless at this age), and try to teach him to take a bottle, but you may well be pleasantly surprised to find your supply holds steady.

Heyaaa

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 7:38 am
I switched to nuvaring at 6 months. The warnings say not to take it when breast feeding. The doctor told me it's fine to take at 3-4 months once the milk supply has been established. I took nuvaring and I was able to nurse fine. I don't know if it's the same as a regular pill but I assume it's similar.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 10:13 am
It's not the milk supply the pill is warning against. It's the hormones in the regular pill that is a problem-estrogen in babies is not a good combo.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics