Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How to make a Kallah gown for dd? White garbage bags?

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 2:57 pm
Dd has to be a Kallah in her class masquerade tomorrow- her whole class is being Chassanim and Kallahs. She was assigned what she will be. We do not have a Kallah gown that fits her, and neither does Toys for U- she is a large child. Wears a size 16 kids.

Any creative people here who can help us figure out how to produce a Kallah costume? I don't sew. I think I might be capable of taping garbage bags together though, and we have white ones.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 3:00 pm
Go to a thrift store (look up in the phonebook) they often have petticoats or other stuff that can be reshaped into a kallah dress.

nicole81

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 3:13 pm

if you are in brooklyn and interested, I could lend you this dress. it's a large size 16 girls, ivory color, tea length. you would have to put a shell under it.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 3:15 pm
Take a tablecloth around her waist, cloth or disposable. Pin a napkin to her hair.

Smile1234

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 3:23 pm
My mother used to put me in a few petty coats with a white shirt on top

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 3:35 pm
Layer petticoats and put on a white shell underneath it.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 3:54 pm
you can tape or hot glue cheap tulle material and wear over a white slip & wear a basic white t-shirt ... then use a piece of same material folded over in a barrette for the veil ...

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 4:10 pm
I just want to send my sympathies and to ponder, why would a morah do this to the parents on such a busy weekend? Isn't everyone busy with Purim preps? Isn't everyone working on the costumes that their kids want to wear? In these situations, there are always going to be the girls whose mother "happen" to have full bridal regalia for them to wear, and those who will have to make due with glad bags.

If you don't have tulle laying around the house, I second the old Shabbos table cloth idea. A lace tablecloth runner might make a nice veil.

Seriously, I am just mean enough to hope that the morah has kids whose morah expects them to have obscure and ridiculous paraphernalia to be fashioned into an haute couture ensemble. Maybe then she'll lay off the mothers.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 4:16 pm
are there any non-Jewish children's clothing stores that carry white dresses that girls wear for communion ceremonies? Even if you don't sew maybe you could you go to a fabric store and get enough to make a quick elastic waist skirt and wear it with a white top http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2......html

imokay

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 4:44 pm
A patterned white on white party disposable Tablecloth (the ones that come in many colors) can work very well as a pretty 'fabric'. With a white shell and a sash around the waist, I think it can be a make it work moment. Good luck.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 5:05 pm
Thanks. There aren't many places in my neighborhood to buy much of anything, but we can get a white tablecloth. I do not have a petticoat for her, but I could try to borrow one. There's not much time, but I'll try. We do have a veil that came with a dress that doesn't close on dd anymore.

My other dd has to be an old lady. That's much easier for me to deal with- it's more open-ended. But a white gown is a white gown.

cbg

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 5:07 pm
Have her wear a white shell and skirt.
Take a tablecloth or a white sheet and tie it toga style
google search or you tube search how to tie a toga.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 5:15 pm
Is there a Family Dollar Store? They sell sheer white curtains and you can put a ribbon through the top and gather it and tie it around her like a skirt. She will have to wear another skirt under it though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics