Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Cover page absolutely necessary?

IRock

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 2:14 pm
When applying for a job, is it absolutely necessary to send the resume with a cover page?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 2:23 pm
IRock wrote:
When applying for a job, is it absolutely necessary to send the resume with a cover page?

Yes your cover letter should highlight the points on the resume that make you a qualified candidate for the job.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 2:23 pm
Electronic submission is expected these days. A cover email is a good idea; then attach your resume as a .docx or PDF file. "Cover page" has connotations of hard copy mail. Nobody I know does that anymore.

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 2:27 pm
It is not a cover PAGE like a fax--it is a cover LETTER and I would think it very odd if a person sent me a resume without one. I'd be like "what am I supposed to do with this?" The cover letter is where you personalize your information for the employer. I am responding to your ad in...I met a representative of your company at...I want to work for your firm because...I am applying for the position of...

Furthermore, I would be most unimpressed with an applicant who could not be bothered composing a cover letter. I would feel that the person is a. lazy b. clueless about business etiquette and c. not interested in my company per se, just sending out a kind of cattle call to all and sundry. Not what we are looking for, thank you.

ROFL

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 3:19 pm
Agree with Zaq , also there may be different positions for different managers , you résumé may be routed to the wrong job and then get lost in the shuffle

happy12

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 6:04 pm
My daughter is applying for jobs at the moment. She was told not to send a cover letter. Just the body of the e-mail is like a cover letter and attach the resume as an attachment.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 6:47 pm
I'm about to graduate iyH and learned that you send an email, with your resume as an attachment. The email should be written like a cover letter.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics