Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Menu with Vegetarians at Purim Seudah... without soy?

JustHavingFun

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 8:30 pm
Wow! All of the suggested menus for the Purim seudahs that others posted sound so yummy. Very Happy

We're having some vegetarian guests, though, and I'd like something substantial for them to enjoy while I don't skimp for my DH, a real meat eater. He's allergic to soy (so no tofu).

I thought I'd start with a split pea or lentil soup, have some kind of brown rice pilaf, and make wine-poached chicken for DH and myself. Challah, of course. Any suggestions for bulking up the offerings? I don't have a working oven so have to do all on stovetop, in microwave or crockpot.

The other thing is, I can't see cooking an extravaganza that's bigger than what I will do for Shabbos. (Anybody else feel that way?)

Party

Fabulous

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 8:33 pm
Do you have a george foreman to grill veggies?

Pasta with sautéed veggies.

veggie quiche if the guest eats eggs and mayo

you didn't mention dessert.

JustHavingFun

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 8:48 pm
Not sure if guests eat eggs. One will eat fish....

Also, I'm not good on desserts. I figure I'll serve the hamantaschen we receive in shalach manos and go from there!
Hooray

mha3484

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 8:48 pm
I make an indian spiced chickpea stew that is filling and yummy. It has common ingredients.

http://m.myrecipes.com/details.....left]

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 9:06 pm
Bruschetta as a starter.

Filling soup like you said.

Make a yummy filling quinoa salad. You can serve the quinoa piled high in roasted portobello mushrooms for a bit more "meatiness" as the vegetarian main course.

You can do KBD's crockpot vegetables as a warm side.

Melon skewers for dessert.

If they'll eat fish, I have recipes for sushi salad and salmon using soy free homemade sauces. (And if they don't eat fish, you can still make the sushi salad as a starter and omit the fish kani.)

temimusdik

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:59 am
ra_mom wrote:

If they'll eat fish, I have recipes for sushi salad and salmon using soy free homemade sauces. (And if they don't eat fish, you can still make the sushi salad as a starter and omit the fish kani.)

Hey I know this was years ago but I was looking to see if people had ideas for Shalach manos, this caught my eye, and wondered if you could share your sushi salad recipe if you still remember it? Smile

I was hoping to make it but forgot how I did mine last time-I believe it was rice, rice vinegar, wasabi powder-but I can't think of what else was in it! My hubby also cannot have soy...
TIA!

abby1776

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 7:35 am
Eggplant and portebello mushrooms can be very meat like and filling.

Dina_B613

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 12:03 am
What about a nice curry or chili?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 12:49 am
temimusdik wrote:
Hey I know this was years ago but I was looking to see if people had ideas for Shalach manos, this caught my eye, and wondered if you could share your sushi salad recipe if you still remember it? Smile

I was hoping to make it but forgot how I did mine last time-I believe it was rice, rice vinegar, wasabi powder-but I can't think of what else was in it! My hubby also cannot have soy...
TIA!
I make a sushi salad with sushi rice, and diced mango, avocado and kani, drizzled with mock teriyaki sauce. Sometimes I drizzle some spicy mayo too
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....ad-2/
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....auce/

bigsis144

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 1:27 am
Egg-Free Nut-Free Chocolate Cake
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ckity
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics