Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Have you ever converted a full sheitel to a band fall?

sporty

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 6:39 am
I was thinking about doing it but was wondering what it entails and if it pays to just invest in a band fall and not mess with the full sheitel.

ss321

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 6:43 am
what does it mean to "convert"
I dont really wear headband falls so maybe I am missing something. But a sheitel looks like THIS:
http://images.teamsugar.com/fi.....s.jpg
took that particular picture because that woman has long thick BANGS
this
http://www.maxwigs.com/image/P.....1.jpg
and this
http://savvysheitels.com/zcart.....l.jpg
are headband falls
(although the second of those two examples looks like synthetic hair but I really dont know)
why cant you just use a headband to put the bangs back?
I dont own a fall but at home if I dont want to take off my sheitel but am cooking or cleaning, I will often just use one of those thick elasticy headbands to pull the bangs out of my face.
why spend the money? Plus, then you are limiting yourself- you can never again wear it as a full wig.

maidale

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 7:09 am
Yes. It was an old sheitel that I was about to throw away, but it was right before the summer, so I decided to try it. The Woman cut off some of the front (obviously she knew what she was doing), but the sheitel started with hair a bit further down, there was no "band" first. I wore it for several summers and enjoyed it. I would only do it if that sheitel is not good as a full sheitel anymore, as a fall sheitel is really low maintanance.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 10:12 am
I took an old sheital and had the sheital macher buzz the hair on top to wear with hats. I wore it a few times, not more.

jackiejoel3

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 10:18 am
when I was looking to buy a fall I couldn't find anything I liked. Then the sheital macher took a full sheital that was on sale that had great hair but the front was no good and she cut off the front( or whatever she needed to do) and I had an amazing fall! Falls are great in the summer and if you don't like hair in your face they are terrific as well.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 10:21 am
I just blew the hair in the front towards the back and put on a band. looks just like everyone else's

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 11:23 am
I converted a 5 yr old, full sheitel with nice hair to a band fall. Cost $50 and I got 2 more years of wear out of it. I wore it to work nearly every day. I'm so happy I did it.

ss321

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 12:11 pm
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:
I converted a 5 yr old, full sheitel with nice hair to a band fall. Cost $50 and I got 2 more years of wear out of it. I wore it to work nearly every day. I'm so happy I did it.

no offense, but couldnt you just have saved the 50 dollars and cut the bangs off yourself? I am all for spending money on my wigs, and I still have the ones I got when I got married (so they last, because I take good care of them, in other words), but 50 bucks for someone to use a razor blade to basically shave off the top of the hairline? first and foremost I dont even understand the point. you just ruined a great shaitel and reduced its resale value by ALOT. and then second of all, a shaitel (just like "real hair") can be worn back with a headband, so why go through the work of doing this and paying someone??

QUEENY

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 12:39 pm
I had my shaitel converted b.c. the front was really lousy. To make it nice and flat the front was cut off. I tried cutting the bangs off but that doesn't make it flat enough for bands.

AR

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 2:49 pm
I also want to convert my sheitel into a fall. I mostly want to do it because I don't like how I look in a full sheitel and it would be such a waste of nice hair. I am willing to pay for the conversion because I don't want to ruin the netting or the hair. Also I want it to feel like a fall on my head (not a sheitel-- you know that bulky feeling of extra hair in the front). Does anyone know any good places to do this? Thanks!!

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 3:14 pm
ss321 wrote:
btMOMtoFFBs wrote:

no offense, but couldnt you just have saved the 50 dollars and cut the bangs off yourself? I am all for spending money on my wigs, and I still have the ones I got when I got married (so they last, because I take good care of them, in other words), but 50 bucks for someone to use a razor blade to basically shave off the top of the hairline? first and foremost I dont even understand the point. you just ruined a great shaitel and reduced its resale value by ALOT. and then second of all, a shaitel (just like "real hair") can be worn back with a headband, so why go through the work of doing this and paying someone??

ss321, the sheitel macher did more than cut off the bangs. She also cut and altered the cap to have no more ear pieces (the part of the cap that comes over the ears.). That way the band lays better and the fall is waaay more comfortable.

Before converting it, I was wearing it for a while the way you described, but there was always a lump there with certain bands. The way she fixed it was great.

The hair was nice, but the sheitel was too old and worn to be resold anyway, trust me no one would have wanted it. But, making it into a band fall extended its life for me, however.

Have you been successful reselling your old wigs? You sound really surprised that I would alter a 5 y.o. wig instead of selling it.

freidasima

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 3:18 pm
Here's one for the books, a few weeks ago I had an old band fall turned into a short full sheitl. My sheitlmacher pulled out bangs and cut them and then washed and cut the fall to a bit above shoulder length and I can now get tons of use out of a two year old band fall that I was wearing every single day on the year, shabbos and voch. It wasn't expensive to begin with, around $350 and so now I have a short sheitl that can keep me going during the warm months and maybe longer.

How can you get five years out of a sheitl that you wear every day??? Mine die after about two years but again they are not $2000 custom but rather $350-$500 sheitls.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 3:25 pm
Freidasima, that is unusual! Have fun with your new short wig!

That 5 year sheitel of mine was pure mazel. It was a Euro brand, out of the box. I paid $1100. Back then Euro's were amazing wigs. Also, I go to a wonderful SM who is really picks through what her suppliers send her to make sure there are no lemons. She is meticulous.

She always says that was the best wig she ever sold.

I finally now just bought a new long wig from her. I love it. Its my first new "custom hair" wig in 8 years. It was from an overstock sale and was $800. I'm hoping I get a nice long life span out of it, too.

tovarena

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 9:16 am
freidasima wrote:
How can you get five years out of a sheitl that you wear every day??? Mine die after about two years but again they are not $2000 custom but rather $350-$500 sheitls.

I just this week replaced the first shaitel I got as a kallah. That was just under 10 years ago. And I wore that one probably 4-5 days a week for the first 8 years or so (after that, truthfully it did start getting a bit sad, and I started wearing my other shaitel or hats more often). It was an expensive custom (a wedding gift from my parents). The "backup" shaitel I have had for most of that time as well is a less expensive european hair shaitel that I typically keep up in either a pony or braid. Of course, that also may be why it's managed 9 years now and still in pretty good condition. It could probably use a dye job, but otherwise I should be able to get another couple of years out of it, no problem.

I doubt the newest shaitel will last as long (it's a lace top so much more delicate). But then I spent just a touch more than half what the first custom cost. Of course, considering that was 10 years ago, I suppose that same custom would probably go for more in today's dollars. So maybe I spent less than half? What

sporty

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 9:25 am
Thanks for all the feedback here. The reason I was asking is because my sheitel is so heavy and I dread putting it on most days so I heard that band falls are lighter weight and more comfortable - I think the scalp is different (because there is no front?) and there is probably less hair on a band fall (maybe all around but def. because there is no front).

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 10:08 am
A sheital and hat are a lot to have on your head. That's one of the reasos I stopped.

katb

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 10:17 am
After reading this thread I decided to put a band onto my full sheitel this morning - it looks great!

ssaucier

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 12:27 pm
I had someone cut off the bangs and it wasn't enough. I'd love contact info for the $50 alteration that worked out great. Thanks in advance!

Lanz892

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:53 am
I had it done at Fortune Wigs in Flatbush for $75 and it's great
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels