Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Frum area in Florida

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:31 pm
We are looking into moving to Florida. Can anyone tell me about any of the frum areas. We don't know any of the areas so any information will be helpful.

This is a little about us. I cover my hair completely. Wear tights and cover elbow and knees. we are very easy going and open minded. My husband works but doesn't wear jeans. We are looking for an area that has similar people to us. Oh and we only eat chalav yisrael. My kids are little but I want my girls to always wear socks ( not nec knee socks) and my boys to wear tzitzit all the time. We don't have a tv in our house (we do let the kids watch by the grandparents but I am very on top of anything they might watch).

Ok that's all I can think of for now but if you have any questions or info that you think might help, gladly ask.

TIA

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:41 pm
florida is a very long state ...

let's say you mean southern florida ... there's always miami, but there's also boca, ft. lauderdale, weston, hollywood, etc.

there's also orlando, west palm beach, etc. which is further north

try narrowing it down so people get an idea with more specific information

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:49 pm
East Boca.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:
We are looking into moving to Florida. Can anyone tell me about any of the frum areas. We don't know any of the areas so any information will be helpful.

This is a little about us. I cover my hair completely. Wear tights and cover elbow and knees. we are very easy going and open minded. My husband works but doesn't wear jeans. We are looking for an area that has similar people to us. Oh and we only eat chalav yisrael. My kids are little but I want my girls to always wear socks ( not nec knee socks) and my boys to wear tzitzit all the time. We don't have a tv in our house (we do let the kids watch by the grandparents but I am very on top of anything they might watch).

Ok that's all I can think of for now but if you have any questions or info that you think might help, gladly ask.

TIA

Miami Beach
North Miami Beach
Surfside/Bal Harbour
Are the areas you will probably find what you are looking for.

As far as schools.
Yeshiva Elementary School (yeshivish)
Toras Emes
Both of these schools are from nursery through 5th grade.
After the girls go to Bais Yaakov and the boys go to either Mechina or Yeshiva Toras Chaim.

Both schools are very good and you will find that, for the most part, the families that attend these schools have similar hashkafas as you.

There is also chabad, but you didn't mention that you were leaning towards chabad in your post.

FYI You need to provide your own transportation to school. Car pool, etc.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 2:58 pm
Op here. So we aren't sure. We have family in NMB so we'd love to be near them but we care about frumness (is that a word?) and schools for our kids from similar type families.

Does that help?

Oh and I'll add that we are sefardi but that's more in terms of our home and shul bec schools we don't mind to be ahkenaz.

queen76

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 3:59 pm
I own a home in NMB, and even though I haven't settled there permanently, I love the place. Pple are warm, friendly & excepting. There are all kinds there. You'll find modern orthodox, but there's definitely a nice yeshivish presence. I personally know of four very yeshivish families, with hashkafos similar to yours who are very happy there.
The houses are not crazy expensive.
There's definitely a much more yeshivish element in NMB, then in boca or Hollywood. I hope to move there one day myself.....
Hatzlacha raba

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 4:19 pm
Are there specific streets or areas in NMB that are frum/jewish?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 4:21 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. So we aren't sure. We have family in NMB so we'd love to be near them but we care about frumness (is that a word?) and schools for our kids from similar type families.

Does that help?

Oh and I'll add that we are sefardi but that's more in terms of our home and shul bec schools we don't mind to be ahkenaz.

You mentioned you are sefardic. What type? Is it important that you go to a sefardic shul?

Miami Beach has 2 sefaric shuls
Surfside has 2
I know that North Miami Beach has, but I don't know how many.

FYI some of these shuls adhere to the Syrian edict of conversion. Those that do are quite strict due to the big immigration from SA.

I'm not saying this for it to be a whole discussion, just for you to be aware.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 5:03 pm
Budget will play a big roll in your choice. Miami Beach is extremely expensive. Bal Harbor only slightly more affordable. If you don't have that much to spend, NMB, Hollywood, or Boca would be the places to go. NMB is affordable and a very large community near schools, shops, everything, and nice mix of Lubavitch, Yeshivish, modern, Sephardi, etc. The neighborhood is a bit sketchy looking and there is crime, but the people who I know who live there all love it. Hollywood seems more modern, though there are other shuls including sephardi. Priced above NMB homes, but nicer neighborhood and much more house for your money. Boca has east, central and west communities. I don't know that area so well so hopefully someone else can tell you more.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 6:34 pm
How is Hollywood split up? Like frum/Jewish area? Also in NMB is it a big mix of Jewish and non Jewish or is there a community?

Op

Thank u everyone for all the replies

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 11:21 pm
If you are Sephardic and want to participate in a Sephardic community ( which is awesome; south Florida has the second largest Sephardic community in the country) a big part of your decision is going to come down to whether you are 1) Jewish according to the Syrian takana and 2) want to be in a takana community or not.

I can recommend a really nice realtor who is Sephardic and from south Florida, her name is Leah 954 654 8404. But be honest with her about if you are interested in a takana or takana-friendly community or not.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 11:24 pm
You might pay slightly more in housing prices in Hollywood but you pay less in insurance west of I-95 so it's actually cheaper than nmb to own. Nmb is more 'yeshivish' tho.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating