Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Wait months for evaluation?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 02 2015, 11:36 pm
Is this typical?! I have been trying to find a developmental pediatrician or neurologist for my kid who is going downhill fast, and from all the people my pediatrician recommended, one isn't answering the phone or returning phone calls and two don't have appointments until the summer. That means even though I started trying in February, I won't have any answers in time to apply for services before next school year. I know good doctors tend to be booked up but I'm frustrated and need to vent Exploding anger

amother

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 2:38 am
I'm sorry to say that this is a common problem. Demand for diagnosing professionals far exceeds supply.

When you are able to book appointments, tell the office staff that you are very interested in going on their waiting list for cancellations. I managed to shave two months off of our overall timeline by going on a waiting list and periodically checking in (once every two weeks) to see if there were cancellations. The squeaky wheel gets the next available appointment.

I live in Northern California. If you live here, I'm happy to offer more pointed advice.

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 2:46 am
Can I ask who your pediatrician recommended for behavioral pediatrician and for neurologist? I'm looking for recommendations.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:07 am
Thanks for the wait list tip.

Ladybug, where do you need?

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:10 am
call every morning and see if there are cancellations ... then be ready to run & grab the kid

waiting is a horrible feeling when you know your kid needs help ~ btdt

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for the wait list tip.

Ladybug, where do you need?

NYC area. Can you pm me for exact location?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 12:42 pm
I also got called in more than 2 months early because I asked to be on the waitlist and called back to see if there were spots. They called me and I had to be there that day, so I ran to school, pulled my kid out and ran. B"H it was all worth it and they did hours of work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)