Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Introducing solids, need help

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Feb 27 2015, 10:19 am
My baby is turning 6 months and I am ready to wean him. I nursed much longer by my other kids so when I started solids they were able to go straight to finger foods, no formula... Now I can't continue nursing and I feel like such a newbie. I really have no idea what I am doing here. I started last week giving him after nursing, some applesauce and then a pear jar a few days later. He ate about a tablespoon at a time, took forever... I introduced baby cereal yesterday.
I am likely going to start formula, unless I see he is happy enough with the solids and nursing. (Right now he isnt always too happy, depends on what I eat, he is pretty sensitive to so many foods, more than normal babies, I eat almost nothing and cant continue this way.)
Can anyone help me figure out what a daily menu/schedule for feeding should look like at this age? What am I aiming to get him to eat in a day?

studying_torah

Post Fri, Feb 27 2015, 10:46 am
You need to switch to formula bec baby should only be eating a drop of baby food at a time now. Oh and def only one food - don't introduce a new one until the first one causes no reaction for a few days. Too much food or different kinds of food will for sure cause a bad reaction.
And yes it does take forever, the baby needs to learn how to eat this way.

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Feb 27 2015, 10:54 am
I am only introducing 1 new food every 3 days approximately. And regarding formula, I need to figure out which one will work because he is super sensitive to milk too. (I was told it's possible that giving solids will train his stomach to not be so sensitive so I can continue nursing and eat normally. But I am not really keeping my hopes up for that)
My question was, how much food should he be eating now per day? how much formula? And at what point should he be getting more food?

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Feb 27 2015, 12:10 pm
These are questions you should be discussing with your pediatrician at the 6 month well visit.

loveandpeace

Post Fri, Feb 27 2015, 1:15 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
These are questions you should be discussing with your pediatrician at the 6 month well visit.

I also like giving my kid Cheerios it's great for fine motor skills.

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Feb 27 2015, 1:23 pm
loveandpeace wrote:
I also like giving my kid Cheerios it's great for fine motor skills.

Can you give cheerios at 6 months? He isnt even sitting on his own so I cant put him in the high chair to eat finger foods

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 1:04 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
Can you give cheerios at 6 months? He isnt even sitting on his own so I cant put him in the high chair to eat finger foods

Again, ask your pediatrician. Do you have a doctor for your baby?

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 1:13 pm
Here is a link that will give you what you want.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_sa.....=true

ETA: I see this thread is from last week. Hopefully, you already got your answers.

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 1:26 pm
imasinger wrote:
Here is a link that will give you what you want.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_sa.....=true

ETA: I see this thread is from last week. Hopefully, you already got your answers.

Thank you! This is the first post that really answered my questions. These sample schedules are really helpful to give me an idea of what I should aim for, although I do follow my baby's lead about feeding and sleeping.
I started transitioning my baby over to formula, so we are working on getting used to that right now. These schedules will help me once we get the formula going well

studying_torah

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 2:45 pm
I think a new food every three days is way too fast especially for a sensitive stomach! I'd wait a week or more.
As mentioned above, a baby is not supposed to be eating much now . The food is only supposed to get the baby used to eating . So a few small spoonfuls a day makes sense.
If your baby has an issue w milk then try a soy based formula .

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 4:02 pm
studying_torah wrote:
I think a new food every three days is way too fast especially for a sensitive stomach! I'd wait a week or more.
As mentioned above, a baby is not supposed to be eating much now . The food is only supposed to get the baby used to eating . So a few small spoonfuls a day makes sense.
If your baby has an issue w milk then try a soy based formula .

I've pretty much put on hold the food for now so I can focus on getting him used to the formula. I am transitioning slowly, first with 1 bottle a day to see if he reacts to the formula we are using. Once he is fully on formula I will start introducing new foods.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 7:43 pm
Good luck!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics