Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Which dips would you like to get?
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 12:37 pm
alef12 wrote:
I give mini jams (packaged for food service) with my rolls to avoid the question of what dips everyone will eat. People have very different food preferences. I, personally can't stand eggplant or olives. Some people don't like tomatos, are allergic to sesame etc... what does that leave, plain mayo? LOL

One year I gave mini butters instead of jam but I never repeated because I wanted people to be able to eat the rolls at their seudas if desired. Even though the rolls are 100% parve (and labeled so) and the butter was wrapped separately people were nervous/asking questions.

well, not everyone likes jam.

I think dips are a great idea especially with purim being on thursday. People can keep them for shabbos. I think if you give 2-3 different dips there is sure to be something someone likes.

this is my aubergine dip people really like. Cut 2 aubergines in half, bake for 40-1 hour on high (420) till dark brown, process with a few garlic cloves and add mayo to taste. (we put a lot)

I made that red pepper dip from overtime cook and it didn't seem to go. Sad But I liked it.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 12:43 pm
OP

I appreciate everyone's input Smile
I don't really care if a few people don't like what I send or choose to throw it out for hygiene reasons. I've done this mm in the past and got lots of positive feedback, so I decided to repeat it though not necessarily with the same dips. I was just trying to get a sense of what is popular.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 1:32 pm
Raisin wrote:
well, not everyone likes jam.

I think dips are a great idea especially with purim being on thursday. People can keep them for shabbos. I think if you give 2-3 different dips there is sure to be something someone likes.

this is my aubergine dip people really like. Cut 2 aubergines in half, bake for 40-1 hour on high (420) till dark brown, process with a few garlic cloves and add mayo to taste. (we put a lot)

I made that red pepper dip from overtime cook and it didn't seem to go. Sad But I liked it.

That sounds delicious! How large are the aubergines you use? I've noticed a difference in size between Israel and the US- no clue what's available in Europe.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 4:07 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
That sounds delicious! How large are the aubergines you use? I've noticed a difference in size between Israel and the US- no clue what's available in Europe.

whatever is available in the shop. biggish. maybe 15 cm long. 7-8 cm wide. Estimating without either a ruler or an aubergine. I keep checking the aubergine to see when they look ready after about half an hour.

smss

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 4:29 pm
Raisin wrote:

you bake them cut-side-down or cut-side-up? brush with oil first or no? raw garlic cloves or roasted?
I keep on messing up eggplant dip and would love a tried & true recipe!

water_bear88

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 4:32 pm
Raisin wrote:
whatever is available in the shop. biggish. maybe 15 cm long. 7-8 cm wide. Estimating without either a ruler or an aubergine. I keep checking the aubergine to see when they look ready after about half an hour.

Thanks! I think that's smaller than the ones I've seen here, so it might make a difference for the roasting time.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 4:36 pm
Something else: Someone once gave me a MM with the following dips:
1. Spinach and garlic dip
2. Mushroom Dip

It was very different if that is what you're going for.

sourstix

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 5:11 pm
sorry none. I have a prob with kashrus in pp houses that have non jewish cleaning women and arent supervised.

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 4:09 am
smss wrote:
you bake them cut-side-down or cut-side-up? brush with oil first or no? raw garlic cloves or roasted?
I keep on messing up eggplant dip and would love a tried & true recipe!

cut side up
no oil
raw garlic

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 6:57 am
I like:
- roasted red pepper spread
- pesto
- roasted eggplant (not so much mayo)
- hummus
- spinach

I don't like anything with olives.