Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
This coming shabbos

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 7:58 am
THIS IS A VENT, NOT LOOKING FOR TZEDAKAH

My situation is that we don't have an extra penny at all. We have a complicated situation, work full time, don't make enough, we're working on solutions and looks like within a few months will be in a better place.

I've slowly accumulated all I need for Purim for MM when different items go on sale and I keep it simple.

We were on food stamps and there was a mixup on their part and we hopefully will get some soon. Last week, we were so desperate to buy for shabbos that we went to a local organization and said we're desperate, they said they'll mail us a voucher for a local store. Voucher showed up about an hour to shabbos, too late obviously to buy anything.
I had some flour, made challah, I put together a pathetic shabbos, there was solitude that my kids were fighting over a piece of fish, not a scrap of food left after shabbos, I was very cheerful and normal and indicated to kids that I just didn't have time to properly shop and cook and they're none the wiser.

We BH are invited to Purim sueda, actually doing someone a favor by going to them, they have no idea that I have no way to make a seudah and they are saving me!
My problem is shabbos, we used the small voucher we got on friday for milk, bread and basics for this week.

I do not have a way to get any money before shabbos, paycheck is gone, turn off notices, credit card maxed out and we borrowed from every gemach. We don't have anyone that we can ask or borrow from anymore.

I have stupid pride and no one around me would ever guess how bad it is, what do we do for this shabbos?
I don't think I have $1 for Matanos leevyonim tomorrow or machasis hashekel today.

I'm not looking for ways to get tzedakah, last week we asked and it came too late, was demeaning enough.

Just venting as there is no one in real life I can talk to. My hubby has emunahy that it'll all work out as there is no other option.

A note to anyone who runs any kind of tzedakah fund, I'm sure you work hard and do amazing work, but you provide money for basics like food, if someone lowers themselves and asks for help, don't make them wait a few days and send it an hour to shabbos.

As I noted earlier, our situation will iyh be better within a few months.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 8:06 am
I understand your not looking for tzedakah, but I am looking to do Matanos levyonim for someone who truly needs it. I would be happy to buy you shabbos and have it delivered on Purim. You would actually be doing me a favor because I could really use the Zechus.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 8:16 am
That's a rough place to be in ... Hug

momX4

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 9:04 am
I think you should take mommy's offer and hopefully next year you should be in the position to do this for someone else. Dont let your pride get in the way. This would allow you to truly enjoy purim.

I wish I was able to help as well.

I think you should also go with dh to a rov and have a conversation about hishtadlis and bitochon. If there is no money to buy food then its your dh's obligation to do his hishtaslis to try to make it happen. It can be getting a side job or getting your name on the tomchei shabbis list.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:36 am
I'm the OP.
Thanks for the offer mommy2b2c , but I would never out myself, yo may know me in real life and I can't bear that.
My suggestion to you is to look around closely as there may be someone who really needs something for Purim, Pesach or shabbos. I know a young widow with small children that has no income now, there are more people out there, I've in the past, stuck money in an envelope and wrote Good shabbos, Happy purim etc and slipped it under a door. Much more dignified.

I'm in a rough spot, but I'm not a victim personality and I'll pull through, when I'm in a patch like this become aware of people who are unable to get out of the situation due to various factors.

Maybe my situation and posting can just put some awareness out there that there are people you may be very close to who are struggling for basics.
I also learnt to appreciate small things. For example, I needed bread and had no way to buy it and my neighbor called me and said she works in a school that had excess bread that was being thrown out, can I do her a favor and take some to avoid bal tashcis, I said sure, she never knew that my kids were thrilled to have bread! I know appreciate every morsel of food and don't take anything for granted.

If you met me in the street, you'd never know anything and I know should get off my high horse, but I'm the one people call to help them, so it's really hard for me to admit I need help.

Do me a favor in honor of Purim and look at your family, friends and neighbors and think, are they unemployed, underemployed, any medical, emotional situation that makes earning money difficult right now? if you have the means, slip someone a few dollars, you never know how you can change their week.
I'm working hard on going into Purim with a full heart and not worrying that there are imminent turn off notices and no food for shabbos, we will pull through and I have no choice but to believe, yeshuas hashem keheref ayen.
Happy Prim to all!

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
I'm the OP.
Thanks for the offer mommy2b2c , but I would never out myself, yo may know me in real life and I can't bear that.
My suggestion to you is to look around closely as there may be someone who really needs something for Purim, Pesach or shabbos. I know a young widow with small children that has no income now, there are more people out there, I've in the past, stuck money in an envelope and wrote Good shabbos, Happy purim etc and slipped it under a door. Much more dignified.

I'm in a rough spot, but I'm not a victim personality and I'll pull through, when I'm in a patch like this become aware of people who are unable to get out of the situation due to various factors.

Maybe my situation and posting can just put some awareness out there that there are people you may be very close to who are struggling for basics.
I also learnt to appreciate small things. For example, I needed bread and had no way to buy it and my neighbor called me and said she works in a school that had excess bread that was being thrown out, can I do her a favor and take some to avoid bal tashcis, I said sure, she never knew that my kids were thrilled to have bread! I know appreciate every morsel of food and don't take anything for granted.

If you met me in the street, you'd never know anything and I know should get off my high horse, but I'm the one people call to help them, so it's really hard for me to admit I need help.

Do me a favor in honor of Purim and look at your family, friends and neighbors and think, are they unemployed, underemployed, any medical, emotional situation that makes earning money difficult right now? if you have the means, slip someone a few dollars, you never know how you can change their week.
I'm working hard on going into Purim with a full heart and not worrying that there are imminent turn off notices and no food for shabbos, we will pull through and I have no choice but to believe, yeshuas hashem keheref ayen.
Happy Prim to all!

Believe me, I give tzedakah when needed. I honestly can't think of anyone right now. You would be doing me a tremendous favor right now, by letting me help you. You can't even imagine. If you live in my area, just send me your address and I will have it delivered to your door. I don't know any bodies address so there is no way you will be outed. I really need this zechus right now. You would be doing a tremendous mitzvah for me. You don't know how serious I am. I am practically crying as I write this. I am begging you.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:29 am
Give mommy2b2c a neutral address and drop off time you you won't see each other. This is what klal Yisroel is.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:41 am
I would also like to send something to you anonymously. No judgement. I HAVE BEEN THERE and know how it feels, I feel it is my duty to pay it forward. Someone from Imamother actually sent me some money at the time and I remember crying upon opening it.

How can we arrange this? Are you in Lakewood I can drop it off somewhere discreet or leave in my mailbox while I am out this afternoon. If not I would like to send you via mail today , or chase quickpay and you should get it tomorrow in time for shabbos.
Post here what would work.
You will be doing me a favor, showing gratitude to being on the giving end.
IYH soon enough you will be on the giving end too!

smile2me

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:50 am
Ive got another idea,

Put an order in to a local grocery, and ask them to put a name like Shprinza Goldstien on it for pickup. OP can pick up or call to get it delivered. No one knows the better and OP.

OP I know that times like these are almost impossible to bare! But I know that things do get better. Immediately after Purim call up (718) 972-6600(Boro Park Community Council) They will get you a food vouch er to a local grocery that can help for pesach, and until then, they will also get you a food package you need to pick up.

Oneg Shabbos is a place you can call. You do not need to give your name(or can give a fake if they ask) just how many people you pick up at a designated place on 15th and 41st street 718-686-8174

I needed help for a while, and the biggest chesed I have ever done(and I try to do a lot for others) is to make the phone calls I desperately needed.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:52 am
I have a good idea op. Make an order and then when it's time to pay, give them my phone number and I will give c.c. Over the phone.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 12:38 pm
I'm the OP, someone who owed me money from awhile ago just paid me!!
It's just enough to manage for now, Food stamps coming next week! So, we should be Ok!
Very soon, it'll change job wise and should be way better
I really appreciate all the offers! It's amazing how we're a comment without knowing each other!
A freilechen Purim and tikzku lmitzvos

ROFL

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 5:32 pm
Life works in funny ways. I agree we should be on the look out for peopel in our communities who need help, but sometimes people really hide it well and try not to show they'd need help. I guess it is part of saving face in front of others , or maybe for not being the nebach that everyone talks about ( that is what I feel). But it is important to know when you reach bottom that you should be able to accept help from others. OP I am so happy that the situation resolved for you today. May you continue to not need anything and your post helped open our eyes to give more tzedakah and know to how to look at others Thank you and now any mitzvah we do is part of your mitzvot too.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 6:08 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the OP, someone who owed me money from awhile ago just paid me!!
It's just enough to manage for now, Food stamps coming next week! So, we should be Ok!
Very soon, it'll change job wise and should be way better
I really appreciate all the offers! It's amazing how we're a comment without knowing each other!
A freilechen Purim and tikzku lmitzvos
I admire your husbands Emunah, wow!

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:28 pm
Can you please let me paypal you
Pm me an email add
So many ppl help me
A few weeks ago my husb found an envelope with 1000 in his gamarra

Two weeks later the avreichim in his collel insisted on buying oil for us when we ran out

Let me do something for you

kelsorino

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:13 pm
I'm sorry!!!!
It is tough. Sounds like you and your husband are both positive people and are doing a good job keeping it away from the children.
If it makes you feel better your not alone. A few weeks ago I served my husband an old cucumber with some salt and a few crackers - B"h we were both able to laugh about it since we believed a new job would come along soon.
Just keep davening!!!! Never underestimate the power of tefila - especially on purim!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics