Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Achieving that crunch - no nuts

Miri1

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:43 am
There are all sorts of delicious salads recipes that use nuts. How do I achieve that crunch without the nuts? eg I'd like to make a green salad with pear, craisins and pecans - what could replace the pecans?

Simple1

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:45 am
Croutons, Chinese noodles? Of course it would need to be added last minute so it won't be soggy.

Miri1

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:46 am
OP here
.... and no gluten Smile

Simple1

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:50 am
That's a hard one. I don't know if they're crunchy because I never tried them, but I was thinking of French fried onions. I don't know if they have other ingredients and if they're gluten free.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:57 am
Can you do seeds? Toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds?

If there's a severe allergy involved be careful because most seeds are processed on the same equipment as nuts.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 5:37 am
Here are some crunchy veggies. They may not taste like nuts, but still add a taam and a crunch.

Celery (bland)
Radish (sharp)
Jicama (sweet)
Carrot (sweet)

You could also choose a firm apple, and add some different flavors, like chickpeas.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 5:43 am
We use bisli, but Im not sure about the gluten though. Or plain corn chips.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 5:50 am
salad shouldn't be crunchy ... one might think they're oiver on 6 issurim - iykwim

[ http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....58198

page 3 ~ 11:55 am if you don't know what I mean]

mille

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 9:32 am
Terra chips are also popular. Or you if you are not opposed to frying things, fry thinly sliced slivers of garlic or leeks.

gmgv

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:26 am
I make a salad that has sweet potato crisps. You cut the sweet potatoes really thin and then either deep fry or bake for a while

pause

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:31 am
I like adding watercress to salads for crunch.

I've seen a lot of terra sticks and tortilla chips in salads lately.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 4:54 am
Also watch out for the allergy to crunchiness
http://kitchenette.jezebel.com.....32973

Quote:
"I worked in an upscale Mediterranean place in Baltimore. One night I got a two-top with a woman in her 40's and her younger son. I started talking her through the menu and describing options (standard server script) and finally started talking about our artisan pizzas. She immediately interjected with "NO I can't do pizza! I have an allergy." I obviously inquired as to the type of allergy and how serious it was, to which she responded, "I have a crunchy allergy."

Now, I don't usually lose face, but I'm almost certain I looked, at the very least, deeply perplexed, so she tried to clarify: "Anything crunchy I am allergic to." I assumed she meant she has sensitive teeth or something, but this was a nice place, so I was required to make allergies known on every ticket, which resulted in our executive chef screaming to see me every time I rang some plate of crunchless whatever.

At the end of the meal they order dessert which was a custard, but it had a crispy "tuille" or cracker in it so I warned her, to which she responded: "Crispy is fine, it's crunchy I'm allergic to.""
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics