Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Was in evergreen today

wispalover

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 12:48 pm
And saw a woman pay half with food stamps card and half with these special papers that looked like checks - what are those papers? I don't think it was welfare because I think welfare goes on a card? Was it special checks from an organisation of some sort? Not asking to judge at all but if from an organisation would like to donate something to them.

iamamother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 12:50 pm
maybe it was chessed dollars? I am not sure how it works but its something with schools... like if u use these chessed dollars the school benefits...

Blessing1

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:09 pm
It's probably wic checks

wispalover

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:13 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
It's probably wic checks

I don't think so because they were worth a lot of money.. Like a hundred dollars each or so.

kb

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:16 pm
School Money? I know Bais Dovid had Dovid Dollars at some point, don't know if they still do.

wifenmother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:22 pm
Chesed Dollars (or 'school money' as KB called it) is the most likely answer. Haven't seen them in hundred dollar bills, but they definitely come in $20 denominations and possibly $50 as well.

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:31 pm
How do people get ahold of this school money?

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 2:18 pm
in cleveland school monies are purchased through the school and can be used at certain establishments who then give a percentage as tzedaka to the school ...

vet techy

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 2:35 pm
kb wrote:
School Money? I know Bais Dovid had Dovid Dollars at some point, don't know if they still do.

Bais Dovid still has Dovid Dollars.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 8:01 am
Maya wrote:
How do people get ahold of this school money?

From the school. People give the school say, $100 cash, and receive $100 in school dollars. It's a fund raiser for the schools that have it. When the stores bring these school dollars to the school to exchange it for cash, they receive 5% less in cash, and that 5% is a donation.

Hope I'm making sense here.

momX4

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 8:21 am
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
From the school. People give the school say, $100 cash, and receive $100 in school dollars. It's a fund raiser for the schools that have it. When the stores bring these school dollars to the school to exchange it for cash, they receive 5% less in cash, and that 5% is a donation.

Hope I'm making sense here.

I dont think this is the only way. A women once asked me to give her the cash I was planning to use and use her chessed dollars instead. I assumed that she got paid in chessed dollars.

dveikus

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 8:48 am
momx4, I think some people commit to selling the dollars as part of their tuition break.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 10:05 am
momX4 wrote:
I dont think this is the only way. A women once asked me to give her the cash I was planning to use and use her chessed dollars instead. I assumed that she got paid in chessed dollars.

some organizations give these dollars to people in the community who need food & maybe one of those people wanted to exchange it with you so she could spend real money for other necessities I.e. diapers, toilet paper, etc. since the other person was obviously purchasing groceries in the jewish establishment - it's not like food stamps so it's not illegal

Lady Bug

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:49 pm
I think the school employees get paid (at least partly) in chesed dollars.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics