Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Best way to travel in Israel with baby

kiwi strawberry

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 2:56 pm
We will I"yh be going to Israel in February. My baby will be about 8 months then. I'm thinking the best way to get around is with a carrier? I would imagine a stroller is not best for touring what with bumpy roads/lots of steps around and all...those who have BTDT, what would you suggest? And if you say a carrier, what type? Thanks Smile

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 3:11 pm
All of us Israelis manage fine with strollers. I take my stroller to the old city all the time. (it's not 1800, our roads are paved...lol)

IMO, if you will be carrying bags with you (your stuff, baby stuff) then putting it down in the basket of a stroller is easier than schlepping it everywhere. I take a baby carrier when my babies are small, but I could not imagine touring around (walking and walking and walking) and having to carry all my stuff in my arms.

I think a stroller that collapses easily is your best option... something where the baby can lay flat and sleep. Or a snap n go and a carseat (if you will travel by car or taxi a lot)

baba

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 3:41 pm
Will you be using a car, taxi?
I'd take a snap n go type thing with. Even though legally you dont need a car seat in a taxi, I wouldn't go without. I have an umbrella stroller where you can attached the car seat.

kiwi strawberry

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 10:54 pm
We'll probably be having a car. So either a snap and go, or a car seat + easy stroller. No carrier at all?

spring13

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 11:32 pm
I haven't made this particular trip, but I don't see the point in NOT bringing a carrier. It's not like they're heavy and take up lots of luggage space, and I expect it would still be very useful. I've gone on plenty of trips (especially via public transport) where a carrier was better than dealing with a stroller. Just make sure you have a good one that will be properly supportive and comfortable for use with an older infant.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 11:47 pm
Many Old City roads are paved with uneven stones. And there are many places with steps, no ramp. I recommend a carrier for days when you will be in the Old City or out in most rustic settings (hiking in the Golan, for example). Otherwise, sturdy stroller is just fine.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Dec 16 2012, 11:49 pm
First of all, having the carrier on the plane itself is a Bracha.

And second, there will be times when you'll prefer a carrier. The Old City is NOT very carriage friendly, although it can be done.

If you decide to go to the Dead Sea or Ein Gedi it's better to have a carrier.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 12:06 am
Forsure take a carrier. Like everyone said, the old city is difficult with a stroller.

How many hundred steps to get down to the kosel? A real pain(unless you drive there, but lots of time people walk around the old city and then walk down to the kosel)

also, if you go on tours like Ir David, you literally can't take a stroller at a certain point. Total rocky terrain, and narrow areas, etc.. Would've been good if I had a carrier when I did that tour.

baba

Post Mon, Dec 17 2012, 4:06 am
I'm with Yesha, with a baby that young I always take a carrier for on the plane. The baby can sleep easily and you have two hands free. Even if it's just for getting in and out of the plane, it helps.

shellydor

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:25 pm
spring13 wrote:
you can also rent a stroller in Israel, and even order it in advance through the internet. I did it once on my trip and it was definitely worth not carrying all this language.

Miri7

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 1:33 pm
I always always always bring a carrier when traveling with babies. It's a lifesaver on the plane and for times when stroller isn't working out.

I would also have an umbrella stroller that fits the car seat or snap n go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics